This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • Hi TIGERMOUNTRIDER,

It's on the front wheel and used outdoors. I noted the coating on the existing battery but I have put in fresh batteries thinking they were leaking! LOL. I had the same problem with my GSC-10 and I thought it was busted so I bought the new sensors but they problems still persist.
  • Had you checked the magnet alignment for the GSC 10? Can you post copies of the fit file? Maybe one for the GSC 10 and one for the new sensor.
    You could also try wiping the coding from the battery contacts on the sensor.
  • Had you checked the magnet alignment for the GSC 10? Can you post copies of the fit file? Maybe one for the GSC 10 and one for the new sensor.
    You could also try wiping the coding from the battery contacts on the sensor.

Which FIT file would you require?
  • One from the ride that had unwanted auto-pausing with the new sensor. I'm not sure it would help but maybe something might show up. t
  • Well looks like my elastic band for the new cadence sensor broke. I got my speed/cadence sensor at the end of May 2014. I can't find anything online that sells replacements for it. I guess it's time to email Garmin support. See if they can ship me some.

Same here. Any luck finding replacements?
  • I have a GE500 with Firmware 2.80 (returned back to 2.8 because the newer version was so inconsistant and have a bunch of other issues) It will not pair with the magnetless cadence sensor. It wants to enter a 6 digit sensor code which my v2.8 GE500 only allows 5.

Does anyone know what can be done to pair with this sensor using SW2.80 Or am i SOL and have to upgrade to new FW
  • and did they send them? I have an asymetric hub on my road bike, but wanted to switch to my mtn bike (which is not). And ive heard the speed sensor rubber band will stretch and stay stretched on the speed sensor. so before I even order this new speed+cadence sensors I want to know where i can find additional rubber bands
  • Problem with Garmin edge 1000 and speed sensor (magnetless)

I am having a major problem with my Magnetless Speed Sensor. I use an edge-1000. The speed reading is really inconsistent and keeps dropping out even when I am doing 25km/hour. The edge 1000 gives very consistent readings with GSC-10 Sensor on one of my other bikes, also gives consistent values with GPS only (speed sensor disabled), no problems with the cadence sensor. here is the strange part though, when I mount the bike on a stand and test the speed sensor it gives perfect readings. This is really a big issue as I do laps and I am faced with auto pause kicking in each time the speed sensors drops off to zero, and consequently each lap distance is different (on the same track). The following is what I have tried in terms of trouble shooting:

1. Reset edge 1000 to factory settings - No change
    2. Tried with another speed sensor - Still same thing, both sensors keep giving bad values
    3. Tested both sensors at home with a bike on a stand - Gives a consistent result

I don't know what the problem is:

1. Are both my sensors bad
    2. Is the edge 1000 defective
    3. Or is there some environmental interferenece screwing the readings
    4. Tried placing sensor on front wheel - no change

Please help
    D
  • Are you manually setting the wheel size or letting the Edge compute it automatically?
  • DIMANTHAW, I'm having a similar issue with my speed sensor paired with Edge 810. The speed seems so inconsistent. I can be riding at a steady pace and the speed is jumping all over the place. Usually reading less that I'm actually going. e.g (in mph), 17, 10 17.5, 9, etc. etc. It also has pretty poor lag. I have auto pause set to kick in at speeds below 1 mph. If I come to a complete stop, the auto pause won't function for about 3 seconds after I actually stop. Being able to tell what speed I am actually going at any given time is now quite difficult compared to when i was using GPS only for speed. My rides are also being recorded as quite a bit shorter than they used to and also shorter than connect calculates when I create a course. I had manually entered wheel size, but I might change it back to automatic to see if it helps.

Does anyone think I have a faulty sensor or is that just how it is?

The cadence sensor seems good though.