This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • Yes they are. They new sensors use a longer ANT+ ID so the ID will not show on the Edge 500 interface, but they will pair and operate with the 500.
  • They new sensors use a longer ANT+ ID so the ID will not show on the Edge 500 interface, but they will pair and operate with the 500.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not an expert in ANT+, but it seems to me that all ANT+ devices would need to have an ID in order to communicate properly. My guess is that the speed & cadence sensors would have their own ANT+ ID.

It may not DISPLAY on the Edge 500 ... but they probably do have an ID.

david
  • The ID is stored on the Edge 500 it is just too long for the ID to be displayed.
  • Doh!

I read "use a longer" as "no longer".

My brain is mush today.
  • UPDATE REPORT: I have been using the new magnetless speed and cadence sensors with the Garmin 800. Performance has been flawless. These sensors work better and are possibly more accurate than the old sensors.

My only concern still remains regarding the longevity of the rubber band used to hold the speed sensor to the rear hub.

Time will tell.

Cheers!
  • I concur with 1BOTTECCHIA6... I've had zero problems with the new sensors and they are much more accurate than the GSC10 (no more cadence spikes due to my pedal hovering over the sensor).

I only wish they did BTLE as well as ANT+.
  • Couldn't be happier, using them with an 800. I ordered a pair of these when first announced. Have been riding with them all summer. Speed sensor on my mtb in the WV mountains and cadence on my road bike. They both work flawlessly. Speed is rock steady in the woods where it was previously erratic on the GPS only. Cadence doesn't spike any more as it did with both the GSC-10 and a stand alone Bontrager cadence sensor.
  • You MAY need to remove the battery momentarily and reinstall them to get the units out of ship mode, but other than that they are quite solid.

What is ship mode? I have the new magnet-less cadence sensor (does it have an official name to make it easier to search for?) but I find it extremely unreliable with an Edge 800, sometimes it sees it, sometimes it doesn't so on my last MTB ride I have nothing for the first half an hour then spikes for the rest:

http://johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Other/General/i-vZ7s8Sc/0/L/MTB_Cadence-L.png

I'm hoping there's something I'm doing wrong, the sensor is mounted on the inside of the left (non-drive) crank arm and I've set sensors to 'yes' under the bike profile although I only have the choice of speed/cadence and power, there's no separate speed/cadence options. Sometimes it shows as connected straight away, sometimes it doesn't and I can't see how to trigger that.

John
  • What head unit are using and what power meter?

The option to select speed and cadence rather than speed/cadence is lower down in the sensor details after passing the ANT+ Spd/Cad option.

If you provide the head unit model someone can give you better directions to correct menu option.
  • What head unit are using and what power meter?

The option to select speed and cadence rather than speed/cadence is lower down in the sensor details after passing the ANT+ Spd/Cad option.

If you provide the head unit model someone can give you better directions to correct menu option.

It's an Edge 800 (no power meter), there's very few options under the sensors section for the bike profile.

John