This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • They work fine, no problems at all. Just remember to specify "Speed and Cadence" rather than "Speed/Cadence" when you go to pair them. (You'll have to select "Speed/Cadence" at first and let it fail, but then new menu items will appear under "Speed/Cadence" that will let you select the correct profile.)
  • You MAY need to remove the battery momentarily and reinstall them to get the units out of ship mode, but other than that they are quite solid.
  • Thank you for your replies/comments. I have installed both sensors and successfully paired them to my Garmin 800. Success!

I have noted, that the rubber "band" for the speed sensor seems to be less than stout.

Any reports on the rubber band's long term longevity?
  • Those who have a Fenix v1 should not that it doesn't support the new sensor. Only the GSC-10.
  • Any reports on the rubber band's long term longevity?

No one except maybe Garmin (and they probably won't say) knows anything about the long term reliability of these sensors yet, since they've only been out a few months. Mine's stayed on my MTB, and it's been there since late May.
  • No one except maybe Garmin (and they probably won't say) knows anything about the long term reliability of these sensors yet, since they've only been out a few months. Mine's stayed on my MTB, and it's been there since late May.

Thanks, I guess you are right, only Garmin knows and they aren't telling. By contrast, the bands for the cadence sensor seem to be a lot stronger.
  • the bands for the cadence sensor seem to be a lot stronger.

I agree, and find this quite strange, especially given that three sizes of crank band are supplied, whereas the speed sensor band is expected to be able to cope with the huge range of hubs out there.
  • Biggest issue I've had with them is the amount of time it takes for the cadence sensor to wake up. The speed sensor is on within a few rotations of the tire but the cadence sensor can take much much longer, sometimes I have to just start my ride and wait for the cadence sensor to turn on within 30 seconds of the ride start. Kinda annoying.
  • no issues with my speed sensor (once paired !!!) but the cadence has dropped out a couple of times requiring me to do
    a "search" from the 800's menus to refind it .....
  • Are the new sensors compatible with the edge 500. Magnetless sounds great, no more lining up ... pair it up and go!