This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 800 not compatible with Bike Speed Sensor and Cadence Sensor

I bought the Garmin 1000 bundle with the intentions of using the speed & cadence sensors with my Garmin 800 on my mountain bike (using it to commute to work right now).

It took a while to figure out, but the Garmin 800 will ONLY allow one wireless device to be attached in the speed/cadence section. So I can set the device type to cadence, it will see the wireless cadence sensor. And if I set the device type to speed, it will see the speed sensor.

Spending an extra $100 for the bundle is certainly not worth it if I can't use both wireless devices. Granted, if I only use my Edge 1000, it sees both devices just fine but for commuting on a daily basis, I won't do this.

Since Garmin lists the wireless speed and cadence sensor bundle as being compatible with the Edge 800, I hope they are fixing this!
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/bike-speed-sensor-and-cadence-sensor/prod146897_010-12104-00.html
  • Did you read posting #2 in this thread?
  • SueA

I can't pair my new speed and cadence sensors with my Edge 800. I am following the above, but it asks for Speed ID and Cadence ID. When I press them a number keypad comes up. I can't get beyond that and don't know if I should have IDs for my sensors?

That is not correct. The Edge 800 will support having a separate speed and cadence sensor.

You need to select the correct option.

Menu -> wrench/spanner -> Bike Settings -> Bike Profiles -> Name of profile -> ANT+ Speed/Cadence -> Sensor Details -> Sensor Type. Set this to "Speed and Cadence"

It will then allow you to search for both items.

• Once you have selected "speed and cadence" go back one page and then you can use the "Search - Spd." and Search - Cad." to find them.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Once you have selected "speed and cadence" go back one page and then you can use the "Search - Spd." and Search - Cad." to find them.

When I press the "Search - Spd." or "Search - Cad." buttons it just takes me back to the previous screen. I know that my sensors work because I just used them with my Edge 500 last week (sold that unit and upgraded to the 800) but am having absolutely no luck pairing them with this Edge 800.
  • Same problems here -- solved :)

Same here, I just switched from a combined speed/cadence sensor that died on me to the new, separate speed and cadence sensors. I struggled quite a bit to get them working with the Edge 800 whereas they instantly worked with my Fenix 3. So obviously it wasn't a sensor problem but one with my Edge 800. As others have said:

** It's important that you choose sensor type as "speed and cadence" (or "speed" or "cadence" if you want to use one only)

Now, with that setting, my Edge detected the IDs of both sensors when I searched for them. For the cadence sensor it also beeped and said "sensor detected". For the speed sensor it didn't do that. But the ID was there. Then the crucial step:

** I had to power-cycle the Edge 800. After that, it suddenly beeped and said "sensor detected" to the speed sensor.

The Edge 800 software is a bit buggy when registering new sensors. Reboot! Maybe even erase your bike profile in case you had another sensor registered earlier, not sure.
  • Hi,

I followed your instructions but only the speed got an ID number and the cadence is not working..

any help please Pray

• The 800 is compatible. It’s the 2032 batteries. I installed new ones and it didn’t work. Finally purchased new ones again and all is well. Need to figure out How to determine age of batteries and best vendor. 

• Garmin 800 use speed and cadence on your Edge when trying to sync speed/cadence plus good batteries.