This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 800 not compatible with Bike Speed Sensor and Cadence Sensor

I bought the Garmin 1000 bundle with the intentions of using the speed & cadence sensors with my Garmin 800 on my mountain bike (using it to commute to work right now).

It took a while to figure out, but the Garmin 800 will ONLY allow one wireless device to be attached in the speed/cadence section. So I can set the device type to cadence, it will see the wireless cadence sensor. And if I set the device type to speed, it will see the speed sensor.

Spending an extra $100 for the bundle is certainly not worth it if I can't use both wireless devices. Granted, if I only use my Edge 1000, it sees both devices just fine but for commuting on a daily basis, I won't do this.

Since Garmin lists the wireless speed and cadence sensor bundle as being compatible with the Edge 800, I hope they are fixing this!
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/bike-speed-sensor-and-cadence-sensor/prod146897_010-12104-00.html
  • New sensor works for my 800,

That is not correct. The Edge 800 will support having a separate speed and cadence sensor.

You need to select the correct option.

Menu -> wrench/spanner -> Bike Settings -> Bike Profiles -> Name of profile -> ANT+ Speed/Cadence -> Sensor Details -> Sensor Type. Set this to "Speed and Cadence"

It will then allow you to search for both items.

The new sensor works fine for my 800, thanks Alan the pictures sure helped. Gary
  • With this setting turned on - as above pictures which speed is shown?
    Do i see the speed as recorded by the magnet and sensor or by the GPS?
  • If the Edge is paired with an active speed sensor then the data from that takes priority over the GPS data for computing speed.
  • If the Edge is paired with an active speed sensor then the data from that takes priority over the GPS data for computing speed.

Thanks Alan

so if i want the GPS speed to be shown I switch the edge to cadence only and then during the winter i switch GPS off and turn on cadence / speed for my turbo trainer ?
    Would that be the right thing to do?
  • Do you have a combined speed/cadence sensor or separate speed and cadence sensors?
  • yes

its the one which comes in the bundle pack with the little swing arm for the spoke magnet and the main body picks up the cadence magnet

and does anyone know why i have to keep inputting a a captcha code in to post ?
  • Just remove the wheel magnet if you want to use GPS data for speed and then add the magnet back if you want to use the speed sensor speed. No need to make any changes on the Edge.
  • pairing duotrap to Edge 800

to pair, use "spd/cad" not "Speed and Cadence" activate the duo trap with pedal stroke.
  • power cycle

One additional step I had to do was power cycle my Garmin. I followed the above instructions and it found a device ID but said it wasn't connected. After turning my Garmin off and back on it immediately connected and worked fine.

Hidden UI. Select Speed/Cadence, wait for it to fail, back out, go back to it, and now you'll find "Sensor Details". Select it and you should now see what Alan showed you above.
  • I have the same problem

I've got the same problem, i.e. cadence sensor has paired and is working fine but the speed sensor search is not picking up the new magnetless one

The Garmin 800 shows the previous (old type) speed/cadence ID still stored against the speed search and could be blocking the new magnetless speed sensor being recognised?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Stuart