This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 800 not compatible with Bike Speed Sensor and Cadence Sensor

I bought the Garmin 1000 bundle with the intentions of using the speed & cadence sensors with my Garmin 800 on my mountain bike (using it to commute to work right now).

It took a while to figure out, but the Garmin 800 will ONLY allow one wireless device to be attached in the speed/cadence section. So I can set the device type to cadence, it will see the wireless cadence sensor. And if I set the device type to speed, it will see the speed sensor.

Spending an extra $100 for the bundle is certainly not worth it if I can't use both wireless devices. Granted, if I only use my Edge 1000, it sees both devices just fine but for commuting on a daily basis, I won't do this.

Since Garmin lists the wireless speed and cadence sensor bundle as being compatible with the Edge 800, I hope they are fixing this!
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/bike-speed-sensor-and-cadence-sensor/prod146897_010-12104-00.html
  • That is not correct. The Edge 800 will support having a separate speed and cadence sensor.

You need to select the correct option.

Menu -> wrench/spanner -> Bike Settings -> Bike Profiles -> Name of profile -> ANT+ Speed/Cadence -> Sensor Details -> Sensor Type. Set this to "Speed and Cadence"

It will then allow you to search for both items.

• Thanks Alan!

Now I just have to figure out why I don't have "Speed and Cadence" as an option. The closest option is "Speed/Cadence" and this doesn't sense either when selected (but works fine with my Bontrager DuoTrap).

Perhaps there was an update that Connect didn't notify me of. I will check this when I get home tonight.
  • What software version do you current have? I'm running 2.70 in English.
  • Hidden UI. Select Speed/Cadence, wait for it to fail, back out, go back to it, and now you'll find "Sensor Details". Select it and you should now see what Alan showed you above.
  • Thanks for this, Alan - you've solved an issue that had both me and my lbs stumped. M
  • Just purchased the new sensors after my GSC-10 failed (and the only option Garmin technical support offered me was to buy a new one). My speed sensor will not connect with the bike. As illustrated above, I chose the "speed and cadence" option on my Edge 800. Both sensors were found and have IDs. Cadence connected and works, speed did not. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Any chance that it paired with another speed sensor? In any case try "Search - Spd" to see if setting it up again helps. If the Edge detects the sensor but there is no speed it must be a defective sensor.
  • It might need to calibrate the wheel size if the wheel size is set to automatic under the bike profile. If the wheel size is automatic then you need to ride around 1 km so that the Edge can use the GPS data to workout the wheel size to compute speed by it. You can set the wheel size manually and avoid the auto wheel size calculation. It should then give speed as soon as the wheel is spinning.
  • I need help. I have Garmin Edge 800.

I bought 2 sensor for my 2 bikes. Both it is working cadence sensor, but when I try to pair speed sensor it doesn´t work.

In general, people said I have to do the steps that you wrote. But I don´t understand why is not working
  • That is not correct. The Edge 800 will support having a separate speed and cadence sensor.

You need to select the correct option.

Menu -> wrench/spanner -> Bike Settings -> Bike Profiles -> Name of profile -> ANT+ Speed/Cadence -> Sensor Details -> Sensor Type. Set this to "Speed and Cadence"

It will then allow you to search for both items.

this has helped me out and now seems to work thanks