This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New magnet-less cadence sensor drops intermitted to zero causing auto stop / start

Last weekend I did my first ride with the new magnetless speed and cadence sensors (not the GSC-10). I paired them with my Garmin Edge 800 with firmware version 2.70.0.0
Here are the results: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/517064154
During the ride I got plenty of false auto start/stop typically taking a few seconds. As you can see in the speed and cadence graphs there are a lot of sudden drops in speed and cadence. I guess those are triggering the auto start/stop feature.

Is there something wrong with my sensors ? Or is the combination with the Edge 800 ? (on the box it is clearly listed that they are compatible).

UPDATE: I moved the speed sensor from the back wheel to the front wheel and that solved the problem.
Also if you ever paired your Garmin Edge with the GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor, look out that you pair with "ANT+ Speed and Cadence" to pair with the magnetless sensors and NOT with "ANT+ Spd/Cad."
To pair go to MENU> Settings > Bike Settings > [Bike 1] > ANT+ speed/cadence. You might get the following list:
- ANT+ Spd/Cad.
- ANT+ Speed
- ANT+ Cadence
- ANT+ Speed and Cadence

Select "ANT+ Speed and Cadence" and not "ANT+ Spd/Cad."

The magnetless sensors are now working like a charm and I recommend them for their ease of installation.

Lode
http://www.strava.com/athletes/505183
  • I just had to do the same thing with my Garmin Edge 500- way more accurate using the front wheel than the rear.

Thanks!!!
  • I have just bought both magnetless sensors about two weeks ago and use them with Edge 800 firmware 2.70. I have the same problem where both speed sensor and cadence sensor cancelling each other out intermittently (be it the speed sensor at front hub or rear hub), and with frequent false auto start/stop. The setting is at ANT+ Speed and Cadence.

It seems I cant use both at the same time.
  • UPDATE: I moved the speed sensor from the back wheel to the front wheel and that solved the problem.
    I have done one ride with the new sensor on the front wheel and got some dropouts. Any chance that when moving from rear to front that you changed the direction the sensor rotates? I am going to switch the direction to see if it makes any difference.
  • Working fine for me. I've been running the new sensors with an Edge 510 for about 2 weeks. I'm running the speed sensor on the back wheel so that I can use my indoor trainer.

So good not to have to worry about knocking the old combined sensor and then having to mess around lining things up again.
  • Forr me the Garmin Speed and Cadence Sensors works. But for the cadence sensor it takes 3-4 turn of the crank to show any
    value. If I stay at a crossing or do not turn for longer time (down hill) it just shows '_ _'. Is this the normal behaviour?
  • Once I start moving, if I stop, it shows 0. I think the only time it's shown '--' is when it hasn't gotten any data at all.
  • For me the speed seems to be fine. Just the cadence drops to '__' few seconds after I don't turn the crank.
    To activate cadence takes some turns of the crank. WHich is about 20m.
  • Cadence sensor stopped working

As the title suggests the cadence sensor stopped working. The settings are all correct because it has been working. It is less than 2 months old and only goes out on Sundays so it can't be the battery so soon. Any ideas?
  • magnetless speed sensor

today i rode with fenix3 and edge 520, and both had the problem of dropping the sensor signal. feninx on wrist and edge on handlebar