This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

If the new speed & cadence sensors aren't detected by your device ...

... you might have to clean the batteries off.

I received mine yesterday and mounted them on my bike.

I spun the wheel and turned the crank, but the new sensors were not detected by my Edge 810.

After a bit of futzing around, I opened the battery cover and noticed a small dab of liquid where the battery would touch the contact. I assume it's some kind of protection from corrosion while the battery is in the sensor unused.

I wiped the liquid off, put the batteries back in the sensors, and they were recognized immediately.

david
  • Your removal of the battery indeed fixed your problem. The root cause however was that the sensor was in ship mode. It may be necessary to remove the battery door from the bike sensors for 30 seconds to wake the unit from ship mode. It will operate normally after the initial wake up which in your case it did. We've corrected things on our end to prevent any further devices from experiencing this problem.

As an FYI the lubricant on the battery contacts is helpful in extending the life of the contacts and does not interfere with electrical connection.
  • What was the lubricant? Should I get some and put a dab on the contacts?
  • I tried this procedure.
    Battery removed & re installed, the sensor lights blink. I try to rescan for the cadence sensor but my Forerunner 305 does not recognize it.
    Any suggestions?

Your removal of the battery indeed fixed your problem. The root cause however was that the sensor was in ship mode. It may be necessary to remove the battery door from the bike sensors for 30 seconds to wake the unit from ship mode. It will operate normally after the initial wake up which in your case it did. We've corrected things on our end to prevent any further devices from experiencing this problem.

As an FYI the lubricant on the battery contacts is helpful in extending the life of the contacts and does not interfere with electrical connection.
  • I don't have a Forerunner, but I noticed that if you had a GSC10 setup before then my 810 was looking for a Speed+Cadence sensor I had to change that to a Speed only or a Cadence only setting before it would find the new sensor.
  • I did have a GSC10 paired before. Ill have to try this

I don't have a Forerunner, but I noticed that if you had a GSC10 setup before then my 810 was looking for a Speed+Cadence sensor I had to change that to a Speed only or a Cadence only setting before it would find the new sensor.
  • I tried this procedure.
    Battery removed & re installed, the sensor lights blink. I try to rescan for the cadence sensor but my Forerunner 305 does not recognize it.
    Any suggestions?

Look at DC Rainmaker's review. The Forerunner 305 does not support the new sensors. It doesn't know about separate speed and cadence sensors.
  • Look at DC Rainmaker's review. The Forerunner 305 does not support the new sensors. It doesn't know about separate speed and cadence sensors.

I just saw that. Unfortunately Garmins product page says that it is supported which is where I checked first :(
  • My speed/cadence sensor stopped working about 2 weeks ago. What's the best troubleshooting option?
    Oops, forgot: Garmin Edge 800, ~2 years old.
  • Based on your question, I would suggest you start a new thread and provide more details.
  • My speed/cadence sensor stopped working about 2 weeks ago. What's the best troubleshooting option?
    Oops, forgot: Garmin Edge 800, ~2 years old.

flat battery in the sensor?