This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Will the Speed Sensor work if mounted on the flat part of the flywheel?

I’m looking at getting the Garmin Speed sensor to use with my stationary bike. 

The only place I would be able to mount it It’s on the flat part of the flywheel. The axle on my stationary bike does not spin round. 

Can anyone tell me if the speed sensor will work if I mount it with Velcro to the flat part of the flywheel.

I have seen a YouTube video where somebody mounts it to the flat part and it did look like it worked okay, but I would rather check with you guys first before I actually purchase.

Many thanks

• It will give you a reading, but this reading will not be correct in any way.

• Btw why do You need speed sensor for this spining bike? for virtual app like Zwift ? or just getting "indoor speed and distance "?

• Ah ok. That’s a shame but never mind. Would have been good if it worked. 

• Yep. I’d like to try out Zwift etc. 

• my opinion is that stationary bike with speed sensor using for zwift is a totally meaningless . everything will be fake (the ingame-speed, the sense, feedback, everything) . a better solution if you install pedal-based powermeters (like Assioma Duo or Garmin Rally) onto the stationary bike , then your power output will be real, and your ingame speed /performance will be realistic also , but there is no feedback , because the app can't control the resistance of the stationary bike. Zwift (or any other virtual app) is working GOOD only with smart trainer (with direct drive version preferred), combined with/without powermeter, or on smart bike like Neo Bike or Kickr Bike. With dumb stationary bike it is better to watch movies or series during the training.