This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Heart rate recorded as -

Had a ride today with a Edge 530 and a HRM-Pro heart rate monitor. Nothing special during the ride, everything felt as it should have done. Reviewed the data after the ride and found a ca 1 min gap in heart rate, see image below. The heart rate suddenly goes up to around 230 bpm, and then nothing is recorded until a minute later when everything seems ok again. Had no problem with shortness of breath or anything during this period, so I really would like to rule out any heart issues. Also did an export of the .fit file and could see that heart rate was recorded as "-" during this minute.

So I would like to know if there is a known issue with heart rate monitors recording "-", or what the reading actually means. Any thoughts from someone? Have read stories about atrial fibrillation during exercise but in those cases the reading seems to continue during the entire episode.

• HRM Pro Plus and Fenix 6 X Pro.

My last runs are like that. I went to two cardiologists because I thought that something is wrong with my heart but I am healthy of course. I have the strap 6 months like you. I had also hrm pro which I sent it back because the electrodes were complete damaged with high heart rate readings after few months. I really can't understand what is going on. Every run is faulty now. It disconects for some seconds and then I have high heart rates 230bpm. Also sometimes before it goes up it goes low bpm.

Do you have any updates from your issue?

• Not really. Have not seen similar episodes since the one above described, but I had a strange increase in heart rate during a later indoor ride. I did not trust the data, and could afterwards see that the respiration rate data was unavailable during the increase, so became certain that that episode was due to erroneous readings as well. Could also check my hr during the increase and it was far from the recorded value. So most likely my HRM pro sometimes is kind of shaky. I have been trying to tighten the band a bit, and always wets the electrodes. It also seems that one should clean the electrodes at least with the recommended interval.

In your case it most definitely seems that the recording is erroneous. Check the respiration data as well, if it looks like in the picture below with missing data during suspicious HR data, most likely the data is incorrect. HR data is in grey and respiration rate is blue.

• Thank you very much you are right the respiration rate is like your diagram. Also I made an experiment today to understand more about what is happening. You could also try.

Next time take out your hrm pro without to stop your running or cycling. You gonna see that after some seconds not only the hrm pro doesn't disconects but heart rate is going crazy up. If you put it back doesn't show you your real heart rates again. This means that if you loose connection with hrm pro then it shows crazy peaks.