This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Jagged heart rate graph compared to other people when looking at indoor training data

Hi all,

I've noticed that when others I follow on Strava upload data from an indoor training session that follows set power outputs the curves of their heart rate graph are pretty smooth as they undulate up and down with the power variations. Mine, on the other hand, are something of a jagged mess with many minor fluctuations. Does anyone know if this is just because some training software smooths out the data (I'm using Tacx Training App and Garmin HRM Dual) whereas most others are using Trainer Road), or perhaps some HRM's record at less frequent intervals so less variation? I am quite fidgety on the bike, which I know will cause some variance, but the diference is so marked. I attach one example of each graph. You won't need to be told which is mine...

Any light shed on this would be welcomed.

• It shoul be a smooth line indoor sessions on erg mode. Maybe edge does not read heart rate sensor how it shoul be.

Try other belt and sensor combination. my old tickr gen 1 belt works fine with edge 1030 and newer tickr gen2 belt have similar spikes and readouts. I have sended back gen 2 belt and they give me a new one, same result.

• Strava graph displays on the App are garbage sort of... but a few things that come to mind on this particular example

your friend has a different scale setting on the vertical axis and has a bigger range of HR when working hard vs easy  105-145bpm or so... where you only are working in the 110-130 range for the most part.  Could be messing up with the stupid strava graph display.  Sharing the Garmin or Strava website example would be much better.  but... the Strava App graphs are junk, wouldn't use it much. :-/

If you have respiration rate on the HR graphs on garmin... is it showing a good consistent breathing rate (if not, sign of bad readings from strap).

btw - I always recommend waiting until HR gets up into a activity type HR level, maybe >85-90bpm before starting activity, will help with resolution/detail of graph range. 

• Edge devices are consistently pretty accurate at reading external heart rate sensors. You can try a different chest strap but most likely the chart is correct. Some cyclists just have more variable heart rates even with constant power and cadence. There is no particular reason to expect a smooth line.