This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cycling Dynamics Edge 1030 Plus and PowerTap dual power pedals

Hi all and happy holidays

Got a bit of a long-shot question, but am curious….

I have the following:

Edge 1030 Plus

PowerTap (dual) pedals

With my prior Stages L50 bike computer, I was able to see Left | Right balance, so am trying to get the same with the 1030 Plus, but so far, no luck.  

I’m unsure if PowerTap / Saris was doing something unsupported or not, but can’t find a 2nd Ant+ ID.  If I use the Stages - I see just the one yet I see Left | Right data.  

So, hence the long-shot.  If someone way back in the day had Power Tap pedals or maybe like me they still use them but have them working (?) with an Edge model, I’d be curious what the trick is.  

If the PowerTap pedals are a no-go, what about a trainer?  For example Neo 2T?  Does / can that provide cycling dynamics somehow?  That’d at least get me data in the indoor season.  

Thanks in advance,

Chris

• So a dual sided power meter paired over ANT should only show one ID. That is from the side that controls the communication with the head unit. That side manages the communication with the other side and aggregates the data from both side before sending to the head unit.

Now it could be that the the two pedals are no talking to each other, which is why you are not getting power data. If that is the case it could just be acting as a one sided system and doubling the power. Hence no power balance data.

Not sure if the PowerTap app is still available, but I would start there and check that it reports information about both pedals. 

• OK, thanks for the info.  Unsure why but was thinking there’d be two Ant+ IDs…and since I just saw one, that made me wonder.

What seems odd to me, and probably just my lack of understanding, but it works fine with a different (non-Garmin) bike computer (Stages L50).  

I get power on the Garmin, but don’t see an option to either enable / select cycling dynamics.  

Again, thanks for the help.

-Chris 

• Correct it will not show Cycling Dynamics as an option. The PowerTap pedals do not support that. They should support balance, which is part of the standard ANT+ power protocol and not part of cycling dynamics. There should be no need to enable it, just make sure to have a power balance data field added to one of your training pages to see it.

• Thanks!  That cleared it up and now have a separate screen with the fields showing what I wanted.  Really appreciate your help!