This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed Sensor 2 ends rides during ride since firmware 4.0!?

Hello,

I've successfully upgraded the Speed Sensor v2 to firmware 4.0. The problem now is, that the Garmin App (4.60.1) on my iPhone 12 mini (iOS 16.1) is finishing sometimes the current ride after a few hundred meters, although I am still riding and never had a pause.

Do you have similar problems?

The problem occurs regardless if I open the app in the foreground or it is not opened and just in background.

• You can check if there is another firmware update to v. 4.00 (double zero). I can remember that when I upgraded my sensor from v2.30 to 4.0 and then checked sensor settings in Garmin Connect app, there was another update available, 4.0 -> 4.00. It might have been app glitch and 4.0 and 4.00 are the same firmware, yet sensor reported it differently in edge830 too.

• Hi,

same happening here. After update to firmware 4.00 all was working ok. But since last week it happens that the stored ride length is just few tesn of seconds --> few undreds meters. I think this is happening when the synch of the previous ride does not finishes fully before starting the next ride and the end of the synching activity is blocking the storing of the new one...

• And to be even more precise this is what happens to me during the commute rides:

-> ride in the morning to work

-> going back home

a. I wake up the sensor spinning a bit the weehl. This leads the morning ride to be synched correctly but then the ride   back home is only partially monitored (few tens of seconds or in orther words few hundred meters)

b. I do not wake up the sensor and I immediatelly start to ride back home. Once at home if I wake up the sensor to force it to sync to the phone then only the morning ride is stored. Like that the ride back home was not recorded at all.

Further details: iPhone with iOS 16.1.1, GC 4.61.1.3 and the Speed sensor Gen3 BSCM Updated software -- version 0.40 (as reported in the web version of Garmin Connect)

I've already tried to remove the device from the list of paired devices from the iPhone BlueTooth settings and made the apairing again happen. Next step I could try to remove completly the device from GC...
    any further hints are welcome

• Problem solved... the update to firmware was simply a coincidence.

the issue was due to low battery!

when starting an activity after leaving the bike outside in the cold (this increases the battery internal resistance and therefore the voltage drop making the supply voltage for the sensor too low) the sensor was not starting at all or starting the record of the ride just for few hundred meters.

New battery in and now it has started to work again :)

Hope this info can be of help for somebody else!

• I still have the same problem. Even with a fresh battery. 

One in three or four rides is not properly recorded. The recording stops after a short time.

I suspect this is related to the recent updates. Because after the updates, I can sync a ride with my phone as soon as I open the app. This process is probably triggered in the background from time to time.

• I also replaced the battery now, but it dis fix nothing :(

• OK, I've also tested that now opening the Garmin Connect this leads to an immediate sync of the activity.
    In my case this was really related with cold temperature and low battery because my sensor was not even starting recording the activity back home from work (after that the sensor was out in the cold for the full day).
    Have you tried to switch the BT of your phone off before starting the ride? is this solving the issue? if this is the case than it is really the interaction with the phone. Then you can dig in the problem by checking which phone you are using/which operating system version.

hope this hints will help you.

BTW... i was also lifting a bit up the contacts to make sure that the battery had proper connection.

• Thanks for the advice with the Bluetooth connection! When Bluetooth is deactivated, everything works fine. So the problem is related to the connection between the sensor and smartphone. Btw, i use a pixel 3 with Android 12.

Yesterday i updated my sensor to 4.10 and now testing the sensor with activated Bluetooth... I hope, Garmin has fixed this problem!

• With the new firmware, the problem is not solved! But the behavior is different: When a recording is broken, i have mulitple, very short (10-30 sec) entries in the app. Very annoying!

Who has also problems using the speed sensor without a ege?

• After the update to 4.10, I had only once the case of a shorter ride record. For the rest all rides were stored properly. I confirm you that now opening the GarminConnect app on the phone starts the sync with the speed sensor and downloads the ride.