This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wheel-on indoor trainers

Hi,

I know there is an Indoor Training sub-section, but my question isn't about any one of that sub-sections own sub-sections!

Basically:

I'm looking for a wheel-on trainer
I rather not have a separate app (which I think even Tacx requires)
Hill simulation is absolutely required
I have a nice road bike so can't justify a full and proper indoor trainer (hence wanting wheel-on)
I don't have a dedicated space for this so noise (or lack of) is quite important
I want as close to the simplicity of just getting on my bike and pressing Go on my watch, and then Stop some time later. This also means I don't want to have to pre-programme anything; in an absolutely ideal world I would be able to choose a previous (GPS tracked) route which then automates hill simulation/gradient etc.
I have Fenix 6 with 1st gen Speed/Cadence sensors but will be looking to get 2nd gen as part of this
I'm in the UK (for available models)

Thanks

• Tacx smart trainers don't require a separate app. You can control them directly from your watch. But really there's not much point to wheel-on trainers any more. You can stick a regular road bike on a wheel-off trainer. And they aren't any noisier.

• yeah there are quite a few models of smart wheel on trainers... but for the price and complications associated with power error/etc... might as well either a get a nearly free fluid trainer used and utilize a power meter or heart rate separately for training intensity.  Super easy to just shift gear to increase intensity/resistance.  works great!  no route simulations etc... but for good structured training or just zoning out easy riding, better to have it be time based not route specific.

or get a smart wheel off trainer that are quieter, more accurate, and work great!  

I have one of each and use them both depending on season (spring->fall wheel on for faster change of in/out... winter wheel-off.) requires me to adjust reear derailur quite a bit so don't fiddle with wheel off in the summer.

I have used zwift and RGT with fluid (with pedal power meter for power) and wheel off .  both work great for training.  the 'simulated' resistance is great and all... but watts are watts.  push harder... go up fake hill faster... with dumb fluid trainer you are just able to self select resistance/cadence for climbs/descents/etc.