This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

speed sensor v2 owners: would you buy it again?

After a decade of buying garmin stuff I've learned to ask this question before I buy because hindsight is only regret

I am attracted to the v2 speed sensor because dc-rainmaker mentioned it can save activity even without a connection to ant/bluetooth

That sounds like the hrm-tri/pro where it has memory and can sync up when it (often) disconnected from the fenix mid-activity or has lots of dropout

I am not aware of any other speed sensor from any other company that does that and I suspect even if they did have one it wouldn't have the integration?

Thanks for any feedback, while it's half the price of something like a hrm-pro it's still an "investment"

Wish they had "factory refurbished" models with the year warranty from Garmin, that would be worth the risk.

ps. I've read the cadence sensor won't work without the speed sensor? Is that true? I'm better cadence doesn't have the memory feature.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I have two of the "Speed Sensor 2", one for each mtb.  They have worked flawlessly, faithfully reporting to my Edge head units.  Battery life has been fabulous, lasting more than a year with me riding every week all year long.  But...

If you are planning to avail yourself of the "self saving" feature, be aware:

• It will "save a ride" if you even roll the bike 20 feet.
    • You will need to disable "Auto Upload to Strava" or you will be filling Strava with fake rides that are 23 feet long.
    • It isn't smart enough to know when the same ride has been recorded by the Edge head unit, so you will have two rides saved if using an Edge.  Manually delete one and manually upload the other to Strava.

I only know this because as a Garmin newbie three years ago, I thought I was supposed to pair with Garmin Connect.  With auto upload activated I was encountering all these difficulties.  There is no switch to turn this "self saving" feature off, you have to un-pair from the Edge.  So for most users with a GPS head unit, you DO NOT want to pair with GC.

I never tested with something longer than a spin around the driveway as I had no interest in recording a ride on anything other than the Edge head unit.  It did seem very adept at recording those short rides.  Aggravatingly so!

• I've read the cadence sensor won't work without the speed sensor? Is that true?

No that is not true.  I have two speed sensors and two cadence sensors for my two bikes.  One set of sensors I bought as a bundle and the other two I bought separately.  Either way, you will be pairing the them individually to your recording device.

• You probably bought the sensor already but it's crap. After the firmware update, the sensor does not record a ride w/o a connection.

• Thinking back it would not make much of a difference to me. I always have it connected to my Edge or Fenix and don't really care/need for it to record its own ride. I actually have garmin speed sensors on one bike and wahoo sensors on the other. Both work great, last long time, and give me data I need while ridding. next time I need to get a set I will just get the most affordable one.