This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ant+ USB dongle

Hi

can anyone give me some advice on how to add a Garmin Ant+ USB donlge into Garmin Express as a device

A little background info might be useful so;

I have a Garmin Varia 800 front light which was working perfectly well until a few months ago, when my Edge device prompted me to update the firmware on the light. This failed (with the red/blue flashing LED light i've read about elsewhere) so the light is dead.

I logged a call with Garmin UK, provided the details and they advsed it would be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately i cannot provide a receipt of the purchase (can't even find where and when i purchased the lignt - i know i should have but sometimes....) so Garmin won't replace (understandable) but also haven't replied to my question why they can't reinstall the firmware on my failed item (even though i;vwe ackowledged there would be a cost to me for this). Garmin forced this firmware through, but won't fix their mistake.

I've read elsewhere that you can update the light's firmware using a Garmin Ant+ USB dongle. Have bought one, but Garmin Express doesn't recognise it at all when i go to add a new device in Express.

My Windows 10 pc has the Ant device listed in Device Manager, but nothing. have removed the device and put it back in, but nothing still

Has anyone got any advice as to how i can make Garmin Express see this? Or is it not possible anyway? If i can get Garmin Express to see it, i'm thinking it may do the firmware update again, although given my previous experience with Garmin firmware, i doubt it.

thanks

Simon Hume

• I don't have a Varia 800, but do have a number of other varia lights.

They all have USB chargers that can be used to update firmware.

You'll probably find better help in the Varia forum anyways forums.garmin.com/.../varia-series

• You don't need to add the ANT+ dongle in Garmin Express as a device. Just plug it in and then launch Garmin Express. You should then be able to add ANT+ devices such as your light. Depending on the model you might also have to connect a USB cable simultaneously to update the firmware.

• Hi

tried that and nothing at all

This was a last go at trying to resurrect what was a very good light until Garmin screwed it up completely.

It'll be going back to Garmin in the post along with the exercise watches that have had a dead battery just after the 2 year warranty expires. They can deal with the issue of disposing of them in an environmentaly friendly manner, don't see why i should, it;s their incompetence that did the damage

Will soon be rid of Garmin altogether, so it no longer matters