This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Power Meter connected but showing 0W

Hi All, 

I just purchased a SRAM AXS Power Meter to go with my Garmin Edge 830.

In the SRAM AXS App I can connect to the power meter and if I turn the cranks with the bike on a work stand I can see a real time power reading. It's low... 10-20W but its showing a real time non-zero value. 

When I connect the power meter to the garmin, it is recognized, and connects. But when I move the cranks I always just get 0W. I created a power readings only page with all different power readings available, and they all read 0W.

Any suggestions as to why my Garmin is showing 0W the whole time?

• I would actually try riding it rather than turning by hand.

The app is paired over BLE and I'm assuming that the 830 is paired over ANT. It could be that at very low power values there is a difference in what the protocols support.

• I have tried riding it and still 0W over an hour ride. 

I have taken bike back to shop and they have tried a second power spindle and a second Garmin head unit with the same issues. Bike has been left with them to work with support.

• Were you getting a cadence reading?

• yes all other sensors were working fine. 

cadence was being measured by Garmin sensor strapped to crankarm. 

I am not sure if you are implying that the power meter is providing cadence. I am not sure if the Rival AXS power meter does that. 

• The power meter should be providing cadence. The power meter sends torque and cadence to the head unit. The head unit then uses torque and cadence to compute power. If cadence is being sent as zero then you will get a zero power value.

You do not need the separate cadence sensor. The power meter cadence values should take priority over the cadence sensor values. 

Did you record an activity with the power meter that could share the FIT file for. The file will show from what source the cadence value you were seeing was coming from.

• Ah I see what you are saying there. 

I did not realize that even the Rival Power meter would send cadence data. I was using the garmin pedal sensor only because I didnt think the power meter woudl do that too. 

Perhaps if I removed and unpaired the pedal cadence sensor the head unit would then get both readings from the power meter instead?

Also no, I didnt save a FIT file yet, I only got the bike saturday so just took it back Slight smile

• Having the extra sensor will not cause a problem, but it is hard to know where the value you are seeing is coming from unless you unpack the activity file when you have more than one source for the data.

• Well it seems it was a SRAM Power Meter Firmware Upgrade issue. At some point something went awry during the upgrade to the latest firmware. This caused the communication issue. A new spindle was installed with the old firmware and that worked fine, it was then upgraded to the new firmware and that also functioned fine. So both levels of firmware worked OK, it was just the actual upgrade that broke it.... bikes eh? 

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!!