This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HR Monitor Strap is dead

I have to say that I'm very disappointed in the amount of time this thing actually worked.  Although I've had the strap (paired with my Edge 520) for several years I've probably only used it 20-30 times.  It started to drop-out on my last ride so I thought it was the battery, but a new battery does not help.  I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting several times and nothing seems to work.

It's really a shame that after only using it for 20-30 times I have to go and purchase a new one.   I have to say that it appears that along with the problems and quirks I'm having with this and my 520 it seems like Garmin is really testing my patience. 

• Did you wash it after each use? If not the salts in your sweat build up and cause the straps to malfunction.

• No I do not, but I will make a point of washing it more often.  Right now I'd say it gets washed about every 5 rides.  I tried it again yesterday and it seems to have come back to life.  I haven't tried it on a ride yet so I'll have to find out.

• Once it starts to fail it may give erratic readings. I now use a polar strap (need to trim the rubber around the studs). They seem more reliable. My lat one lasted for over 2 years and about 17,000 miles of cycling - I rinse throughly after every ride and wash with my cycling kit after every 3 or 4 rides.

• Thanks for the tip re the Polar unit.  Mine went pretty fast, in the course of a ride.  I'm really quite disappointed because this thing was not used that much.  With that said I will definitely be looking for a different brand of strap.

I really hate this.  I seem to have a Love/Hate relationship with Garmin.  I like they way they stuff works when it works, but the little glitches and software problems I've experienced are slowly pulling me away.

• Although I have had problems with Garmin I've found their support 1st class. I use their chat line with any problems and I've found them very helpful. Best of luck with the straps.

• I think the older heart monitor straps are the best. I'm still using the strap that came with my Edge 705 which was purchased around 2008. Works perfect every time and I very seldom wash it. Batteries last about two years.