This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 500 Heart Rate

I have a 10 yr old Edge 500, which yes, is a bit long in the tooth.  It works fine, except the heart rate it reports is probably 50%/70% higher than true when compared to my Apple Watch.  I'm a 64 yr old male, and on yesterday's 17 mi ride it showed avg heart rate of 181, peak 229, which is obviously wrong or I would have been hospitalized.  Also shows only 87 calories burned during the ride.   Apple Watch reports avg HR of 122, peak 169, with 758 calories burned.

Any fixes for my Garmin, or should I just get a new one??

• The edge 500 is probably fine. I'd rather suspect your heart rate sensor. What kind of sensor do use with your edge?

• >>What kind of sensor do use with your edge?<<

The original heart rate monitor that came with the Edge500. 

• Ok, so it's a garmin chest strap. Well, since the edge 500 is a relatively old model, I assume you've been using this chest strap for quite some time. And these things deteriorate with age and use, so as I said, the most likely reason for your issue is a problem with the electrodes on the strap. Just get another strap. I assume you have a strap with removable heart rate module, so a 3rd party replacement strap compatible with the sensor should be cheap and easily obtainable.