This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Edge 530 + Wahoo KICKR + Wahoo KICKR CLIMB - grade control over ANT+ FE-C during structured workouts

Hi everyone,

Straight to the point, I have got myself the Garmin Edge 530 and I am planning to be using it with my Wahoo KICKR trainer, also equipped with Wahoo KICKR CLIMB. I am having problems getting the grade simulation working while following a structured workout built on Training Peaks. Pairing, etc. is not an issue and power control does work fine. Also, "set grade" option does work fine but my understanding is you can either follow a workout or set the grade manually.

Since now, I have been using it with Trainer Road on iOS and connected via Bluetooth. From what I was reading a year ago when I was setting it all up, Trainer Road does not have any grade simulation and awareness that there is also a KICKR CLIMB connected so the way it has been working is that any power over 75% of one's FTP increases the grade as well. Every 5% of power increases the grade of 1%. Now I would love to have the option to follow the workouts I planned with Training Peaks and have them also to control the grade on the KICKR CLIMB with Edge. My understanding is that with ANT+ FE-C grade control has its own communication channel so the question is, is it possible to control both grade and power with Edge with ANT+ FE-C?

I know I can use Trainer Road or Zwift but the idea was not to rely on any extra subscription and external app so I can have Edge doing all the work itself, controlling the trainer and grade while inside and also riding with it when outside. Also, I wanted to have all the metrics calculated using Edge for both inside and outside rides.

Any comments, ideas, suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks!