This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed sensor delay on rear wheel?

Hello all, 

I'm thinking about adding a speed sensor to my garmin 530 for accurate speed readings, i want to put it on the rear wheel and not at the front. Can anyone confirm is there is a lag in the speed display? I used wahoo before and the unit showed speed 5-10 seconds after I stopped which was irritating, on the front wheel it was better but not by much. Is there  much of delay with a Garmin speed sensor? When you come to a stop does it show you are stopped or does it still display speed for a few seconds?

thanks

• I've been doing fine with a Garmin speed sensor mounted on a Rohloff Speed Hub on my Co-Motion touring bike. I've had them linked with my Edge 1000 and now an Edge 1030 Plus without any issues. FWIW, I spin the rear wheel and rotate the cranks several revolutions prior to turning on the Edge so that the sensors are "live" and connect immediately. I also put on the heart rate chest strap about 15-min before riding so that the sweat makes a good connection. Hope that helps!

• HI 

thanks for the response but is there a delay with the sensor when you come to a stop does it still show speed even tough you are not moving? 

• We had blackout smoke from wildfires yesterday, and it's still bad air today. But I'll let you know ASAP.

• I just did a test of the speed sensor with the bike at rest, e.g., like it's on a spinner in the winter. I cranked it up to 14-mph for a few minutes, and it displayed a steady reading. I also tried stopping by applying the brakes, and the reading dropped to zero immediately. I also tried letting it slowly coast from 14-mph to zero gradually without any braking applied, and the reading was steadily falling as the wheel slowed. Once again, this speed sensor is mounted on a Rohloff Speedhub with a Gates belt drive. The frame is a 62-cm, and I have a 140-mm stem, so there is good separation between the speed sensor and the edge 1030 plus. I hope that helps!

• Thanks very much , it definitely helps. Hopefully the fires will be over soon, stay safe.