This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

heart rate monitors and *** implant

Does anyone know if having *** implants impedes the functioning of the Garmin chest strap heart rate monitor? My wife had a mastectomy and prosthesis fitted. I have a Garmin heart monitor which works on me fine but we cannot get it to work on her - the sensor is recognised by the head unit, the rate shown is a constant 75 and doesn't change with effort - concurrent use of another HR monitor (Apple Watch) shows her HR rising as you would expect. Thanks 

• Apparently the part of the human body I mentioned in my question is a banned word in the forum so I hope the operation named will make it clear.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

hi,

see you mention apple watch but not which Garmin device and type of hr chest strap

chest strap works only in activity (working app) or while in an opened widget

the 75 points to the wrist hr

happy & safe sporting

• It’s the standard Garmin chest HR monitor and the Garmin EDGE 810 gps (both ANT+). The Apple Watch is completely separate. 
  • Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to ytzabar

back to the strap,

edge 810, how old is the strap ?

you can slide the hr band so that one of the sensor pads is literally on the side of the body

also wet the band or sensor pads before use

most likely the operation had some effect on measuring hr signals

happy & safe sporting

• The strap is fine (brand new) and as I said, it works for me no problem. The Apple Watch was used as a comparison to see if the Garmin was reading correctly, which it wasn’t. I’ll get her to try other positions of the pads. 

• My wife had a bilateral mastectomy and has implants in place for 4 years now.  Her Garmin heart rate strap has no problems recording her heart rate and sending it to her Edge 530.  I don't think the implants are the problem.  As suggested by OnlyTwo try repositioning the band and try using contact gel to enhance the connection.

• Thank you. She did try it in different positions and it did work ok when placed on the side of the chest opposite the implant. Though as you say, the side may not be relevant.