This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does Edge 830 need a speed sensor accessory?

I have a new Edge 830 to replace my 820.  I'm using the cadence and speed sensors from the 820 with the new 830.  While riding, my speedometor seems to lock up at times, and or jump from say 16.2 to 18.5.  the speed does not always indicate and move fluidly as it should.  I was told by another Garmin owner that I do not need the additional speed sensor while riding outside, only for indoor computraining. 

Do I need the speed sensor on my hub for outside riding?

Thank you,

Tom Renaud

• Sometimes when I ride through a forest with the EDGE 830, the indicated speed "looses" 4-7 km/h when the device has not enough satellites coverage, but this behavior is the same with my other EDGE 25. 

As a first test, you could try define GPS + GLONASS or GPS + GALILEO in the profile, to see if one solves your problem. For me, it did not, so I added a speed sensor and now everything is fine with both devices.

Bertrand

• You don't need a speed sensor, but it should give you more accurate speed data on an instantaneous basis. Speed calculations based on GNSS signals are more noisy and can fluctuate based on signal quality. If you're not getting accurate data from your speed sensor then it might be broken, or have a weak battery, or not have a clear signal path to the computer. Try changing the battery and if it's on the rear hub move it to the front. If it still doesn't work then buy a new one, they're cheap.

Using a speed sensor for indoor training is rather pointless. It doesn't matter how fast your wheel is spinning, it matters how hard you're working and how much power you're putting out.

• Thank you.  I'll do another battery change and move to the front. Then, as you suggest, I'll get a new one if needed.  

• Thank you Bertrand. Much appreciated.

• Do you know how is set and computed the priorisation between GNSS speed and Sensor speed in Edge units? How does the Edge handle receiving both values?

• It will prioritize sensor speed over GNSS speed.

• And does it correct, smoothen, average, alter in whatever way the readings? Or does it just report the orginal and live sensor value?