This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How can I record the distance for indoor cycling

I have a FR935 watch, it is great for running.

Recently I would like to develop in different areas, like swimming and cycling. Therefore, I asked for the HR monitoring device before.

For outdoor cycling, there are no issues with my watch; but for indoor cycling, I do not know how my 935 watch records the cycling activities with distance.

I see some members in my joined groups can record the distance for indoor cycling. How do they do that? Must I install additional ANT+ devices, like the following sensor?
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Sensor-Cadence/dp/B00JM6DKUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544132537&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+speed+and+cadence+sensor+bundle

In my home, I have a very basic indoor cycling machine (no bluetooth / ANT+ transmission function). It was bought by my wife for weight loss several years ago. Can I install above sensor on every cycling machine?(My indoor cycling machine without wheels)

For altnertive, do I still need to buy the senor if I buy a new indoor cycling machine with ANT+ function?

• For speed and distance indoors you need either an indoor bike/trainer that transmits speed data over the standard ANT+ profile, or you need a speed sensor. However, there are potentially two problems with a speed sensor on an indoor bike:

1. Many bikes have no proper place for installing the sensor (lack of wheels).

2. The speed sensor needs to know the wheel size. Setting the correct wheel size can be tricky or even impossible. Some indoor bikes simulate speed from cadence and resistance. There is no way for the sensor (or the 935) to know at what resistance you're riding, therefore getting the same speed on your 935 as the bike shows is impossible, no matter what.