This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Apple Watch as HRM for Computer

I noticed two new options that allow you to use your Apple Watch as a HRM for a BTLE enabled cycling computer (Developed as a Peloton solution but seems to work with cycling computers).

They both work pretty similar (one is software and the other is hardware) by running an app on the watch that transfers the HR to the phone which then transfers the HR to the computer.

I tried the software version as it's free with ads. I used it on a Lezyne Super GPS and once it was running seems to work very good. The issue I have is with setup. It seems as though you have to go through the pairing process every time you use it. I'm not sure if this is a shortfall of the Lezyne or just the way it has to connect. I then tried it on a Garmin Edge 530 and couldn't get it to sync once it was paired. Maybe it's just buggy as a new release. I think I'm going to order the hardware version and see if it's any good. Has anyone else tried these?

Here is the software solutions.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blueheart-bluetooth-heartrate/id1485503543

Here is the hardware solution.

https://npe-inc.com/news-highlights-home-page/heartbeatz-connects-apple-watch/

• It looks that Garmin connect itself takes HR data if you wear Watches. I started "workout" on Apple Watch and Garmin on my bike. I see three activities in my iPhone "Workout" list that were imported from 1) workout on AW, 2) Connected strava with garmin, 3) garmin edge 830 on my bike. All contain HR data. The only difference is that the HR data is different on 3rd import as the activity is cut during the no-moving time.

I will be testing and come back to comment but I guess that we - the owners of Apple Watch - dont need ANT+ device instead, you just need to have watches and Garmin connect. However, it looks that Strava took the HR data and sent them Garmin connect. GC than merged the data.

• Interesting. I don’t use Strava. Does this work without Strava integration? Currently I’m using the hardware solution I mentioned above (HeartBeatz) and it works very well. I’m still interested if I can have the Watch transfer the data to Garmin Connect. 

• I too bought a Heartbeatz a few weeks ago and it’s been working really well.  Highly recommended based on my usage so far.

• I too bought a Heartbeatz soon after my initial post. I like it very much. Very easy to use and haven’t had any issues. Battery seems to be lasting too, I haven’t changed it yet.

• Hey Nikola,

did you get any more Info out of your tests? I am having the same, but when looking into the activities app on my AW I see that Garmin Connect shows a heart rate (read out from Apple Heath Activities?). But when looking into the Strava actitvity or Garmin Connect (Web / App) there is no heart rate visible. 

I only use the AW as heart rate sensor.

Thanks!