This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed Sensor 2 and Edge duplicate activites

I've bought the SS2 a couple of weeks ago, and since then all the cycling I do gets registered twice whenever I use my Garmin Edge.

It makes kinda sense because by default I'd expect both the sensor and the Edge to record an activity separately. But I'd hope the platform would be a bit smarter than that... Seems I have to either never connect the sensor, never use my Edge, or everytime I use the Edge, delete the sensor activity.

Am I missing something? Some have suggested to disconnect the sensor from the Connect app when I use the Edge, but it will still sync the activity next time I connect it so I don't see the point.

I paired the sensor using Garmin Edge using ANT+ though. Should I pair it using Bluetooth instead?

Here's an example:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4115099862 recorded with the Edge

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4134064125 recorded with the SS2

• It works but it would be much better if it could recognize the connection status with watch/edge and in such cases work just as a speed/cadence sensor while without watch/edge work as a speed sensor + all the other data, This way if You forget your watch/edge or just commute you wouldn't have to use / turn on other devices just to collect basic data from Your ride.

• Yes! Ive removed it from Garmin app on mobile.

now the GSS2 only communicate with my edge, and I don’t have duplicate activities.

• Connect the sensor to you watch or gps, not Garmin Connect. the watch/gps will use the sensor data to determine the speed. you will get all the data from the SS2 without the double entry. the process is not exactly intuitive, and the documentation and tech support are kinda lacking/unclear on the subject.

the only use in connecting the SS2 to GC seems to be to register it. after that it seem to cause problems. i think the tech support answer assumes that you connected the SS2 to both GC and you Watch/GPS. SS2 probably has the ability to Connect to GC so it can be used without any other Garmin Device and was not meant to be used directly With GC if you do have a nether device.

• The above isn't true. I'm fairly certain the system is smart enough to know if the activity is being recorded by both devices at the same time.

I have my speed sensor connected to both GC Mobile and my Edge. If I ride with my Edge, then I do not get an activity uploaded to GC from the sensor. However, if I ride without my Edge, then I get an activity uploaded to GCM from the sensor.

• I made some experiments also and found out that if you connect the sensor to the edge device/watch first (or the edge is already powered on), the sensor will not record a separate(duplicate) activity.
    If you start recording and at some point you decide to discard the activity and record a new one on the edge/watch within 5 min. (while the sensor does not powers off), I saw that the sensor will record the total distance separate (will not ignore the discarded activity).
    At the end you will have 2 activities in your GC: one from your edge/watch and the second one from your SS2 (a total distance from your discarded activity and recorded one).

• i have sometimes duplicates, sometimes not

• I found this KN article that suggests older Edge devices have this issue - the KB lists affected devices but my Edge 830 is not shown, so not sure what the issue is. I’m going to disconnect the SS2 from Connect app, see how it goes. support.garmin.com/.../