This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Cadence Sensor 2 spurious cadence spikes

Does anyone use the Cadence Sensor 2 with a mountain bike on rough (like really rocky) trails?

I am frequently seeing brief cadence spikes up to 240+ RPM when I do rocky rides -- the spikes are so short that they don't seem to affect the average computation much but I would like to know my real max cadence.

I know that cadence doesn't really matter so much on a MTB, but I was curious and since the Cadence Sensor 2 actually _can_ be mounted to a mountain bike, I decided to try it out.

Probably the accelerometer is just getting confused and there is nothing to be done about it, but was wondering if this was a known issue.

Recording with a Fenix 6X Sapphire if that makes any difference.

• I see this all the time on mine, have been wondering about it, finally googled.  Here we are...

• I see this too occasionally.

Try changing where the sensor is mounted. Ensure that it cannot move where it is mounted. For me mounting the sensor on the chain ring spider gives the least spurious readings.

• I'm using the Garmin "CADENCE SENSOR 2" on my Road Bike,
    and bought the same one for my Wife,

We have High CAD spikes on many ride (ROAD & MTB) : Very bad quality on this Garmin device !!!
    I was using  Polar Cadence Sensor before Garmin, and never got any such errors.

I will not recommend this device to my friends.

This morning i got two CAD spikes : 163 and 191 !

• Where do you have the Cadence Sensor 2 sensors mounted?

Mounted on the crank I got regular cadence spikes but after moving to the chain ring spider cadence spikes are very rare.