This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speedsensor only syncs one ride at a time

I installed on speedsensor on the bike of my daughter. As she doesnt have a mobile phone i use a Android tablet to sync her rides. But with every connection to the sensor only one ride gets transferred and then the sync stucks (the led stops blinking red/green)

I can wait until a error comes ir deactivate/activate bluetooth to start the next sync.

The sync-circle gets full only after i synced 5(days)*2(rides) times...

To be shure its not a problem of this special tablet i used another tablet and got the same result. Thats annoing.

• It's the same for me, although it's not always one ride but sometimes two or three. Anyways, I have a backlog of several days now. For me it seems the whole product is not quite ready for the market yet (as usual with Garmin)

• I think our usecase is not the main one. I opened a support case at garmin to make them aware of the problem. You should do the same... 

• I'm using it the way Garmin intended it, which means I always have my phone with me on the rides. Nevertheless, I only syncs one or two rides and then ends with a failure, and as you already observed, it syncs with the phone just once per activation (which ist completely stupid). To add to the misery, half of my rides start in a parking garage where there is no phone reception and there it doesn't sync at all because for some (again stupid) reason the phone needs connection to the sensor as well as to the network to sync.

• ... same for me - sync painfully unreliable. also see forums.garmin.com/.../speed-sensor-2-sync-recording-issues

opened a garmin case about errors - but no response from them :-(

• I wrote the Garmin support about the issue and today they replied stating that (translated from German): "... you need a bike computer in order to record speed and distance data, Coupling the sensor to the phone is not sufficient". Obliviously they have no idea about their own products. Probably they were referring to the old speed sensor but then "coupling to the phone" is not even an option and second of all I wrote "Speed Sensor 2 several times and also submitted the serial number of my device together with the request. Maybe it is time to send the stuff back to Garmin and ask for a refund. 

•  My experience is very similar to yours as well. I park the bike in a closed space at home and at work.

I've also noticed that sync will fail completely if my phone is out of coverage, which sounds like poor implementation imo. Surely the phone should be able to download the data from the sensor then upload it to Connect when it gets internet right?

But even if I have coverage, it will only sync one ride at a time. If I go to "Garmin Devices" in Connect, and disable and reenable Bluetooth on my phone, I can see the sync progress bar get partly filled as soon as the sensor connects, then stay stuck there. I need to disable and reenable Bluetooth again to get the next activity to sync (note to @M.ZIELINSKI, you don't need to wait until the error comes, you can just keep disabling and reenabling BT in quick succession). Eventually I get a sync completed message when I enable/disable BT and the sensor reconnects but has no activity left to sync.

I think that the fact I park my bike out of coverage, the fact that it won't sync without phone coverage and that it won't sync more than one activity at once are three different issues, but feed each other into a very poor user experience.

Also my sensor actually does miss some rides (i.e. once full synched it's still missing some) and records partial rides (i.e. rides that appear much shorter than they are). A perfect miss from Garmin on this one... I'm thinking of just getting rid of it. I think the issue is not in the unit I have, but on the whole implementation.

My phone is an S8 by the way, so not too rare a phone!

Also I'm actively following the comment section on the DC Rainmaker article and a few people are reporting the same behaviour.

• I see exactly the same, although mine has nothing to do with phone coverage or GPS as I have great wifi and 4G where my bike is store at both home and the office.  Thanks for the disable/enable Bluetooth tip. I was previously removing and adding the sensor every couple of days.  This is just another in the big list of garmin bugs affecting me on a variety of devices.  

• I have the same problem with an iOS phone and the same sensor.

Is there any update?

Yann

• Thanks to your observation that it is enough to disable and reenable Bluetooth in order to trigger a new sync I now have a workaround for the problem on my Phone: I use the app tasker to automatically toggle Bluetooth on and off every minute while I'm commuting to work in the morning. I thereby generate enough "sync events" to download all rides from the previous day. Thanks a lot!

• I like your solution-focused approach! How does app tasker know you're commuting is it also automatic?