This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cadence sensor won't fit!

Hi all,

I just got an Edge 830 sensor bundle. When i went to install the cadence sensor, i found that it won't between the crank arm and the frame on my Trek Checkpoint. No position on the inside of the crank arm will fit. I guess i could put it on the outside of the crank arm, but that will surely be annoying and I'll eventually kick it off. Any other creative ideas? Bummer :/

Also, my speed sensor arrived with a dead battery, but that's not the end of the world.

• - Could you provide a picture of the your crank next to each chain stay?

• Not sure it will work for you, but for me with the speed-sensor 2, I ended up using a small piece of double-sided foam tape along with a very tight overwrap of self-sealing silicon tape to attach the cadence sensor more snugly inside my crank while having (nearly) flush sensor on the inside and nothing protruding on the outside of the crank arm.

When I initially installed using the supplied rubber strap, I immediately tore it off by rubbing my heel on the strap during spiriting mountain biking. My crank (SRAM Eagle GX) has a relief indent on the backside where the sensor can sit inside to gain clearance versus installing with the strap. With the flatter tape install it's been perfect.

• I just purchased the 530 bundle, and had the same issue...so I'll post a picture of my bike and solution. It's a 2020 TREK Checkpoint ALR 5, presumably like the OP. There is literally no room on the inside of the crank, and at first it just doesn't seem like it will work at all. It certainly won't work on the drive side. But if you go on the non-drive side, you will see at the absolute furthest forward (fattest) spot on the crank, using the largest rubber-band provided, you can JUST squeeze through between the frame. I feel like if it slides at all I'm going to crush the sensor, but at least where it is right now, I'm good. Hopefully that helps!

• Very interesting. I have the exact same bike. I swear i tried in that spot and couldn't get it to fit. That is tight. I'll try again and report back. Thanks!

• Awesome, definitely let me know if it works out!

• - Why not move it out towards the pedal? Generally you have much more room near chain stay vs next to the bottom bracket.

• That does not work. The closer to the pedal you go, the less room you have. Sorry, but that's just how it is on the Checkpoint ALR 5.

• I've just picked up an 830 bundle /w cadence sensor and 2020 Checkpoint also, and considered mounting it there, but doesn't fit with 105 cranks, hits the chainstays, have you gotten accurate readings being so close to the hub?

• Looking forward to find a solution for this.

I have a similar problem with my Checkpoint SL5. I got the 820 bundle and the cadence sensor fits well, but almost too tight. When it gets dirty it scratches the paint of the chainstay :(

• Maybe I am completely missing the point, but can you not just mount the sensor on the opposite side of the crank arm? Higher up away from your cycling shoes? This sensor does not need a a magnet to pass by the sensor, so my reasoning is that it just needs to rotate to give a cadence reading.