This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Re-Calibration of the Speed Sensor

As you know, the Speed Sensor is really useful on MTB twisty single track trails. It provides accurate distance. The GPS distance (and therefore speed) is often up to 10% too low. You can easily lose 4-5 miles over a 50 mile ride using GPS for distance!

So clearly, we can't count on the auto-calibration to work on one of these rides... since that uses GPS, which can be 10% too low in that use case.

So, when I get a new speed sensor I ride on a clear/straight section of trail or road, and that sets it up accurately.

Many in this forum suggest the speed sensor continually auto-calibrates based on GPS. Wrong. If so, after a couple miles on single-track, the calibration would be bad, based on bad GPS distances on those twisty single track trails. And I don't see that at all. My speed sensor constantly gives me accurate distance, that is 6-10% more than the GPS track.

My question is: can we tell the Garmin computer to re-calibrate a new wheel or tire automatically? If we know we'll be on a nice clear/straight section of trail or road for the next mile or two?

I know I can manually set the tire circumference, but it would be so much easier to tap a button on the Garmin to re-calibrate. I just can't find that option.