This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

USB ANT stick or to get a watch?

My old Sony Experia (ANT compatible) retired finally this last week, over the winter it was serving well as a bike computer mounted to the handlebar, with the cadence/speed sensors on my bike trainer in the basement. I used the iPbike app to have live view from the sensors. Fitness only twice a week about 30+ KM a trip, not some hard training...
I was planning that my recent LG G3 phone will replace the Sony, but turns out it is not ANT compatible.
Now I got a confusion...
1.) me to order a USB ANT stick from amazon,
or
2.) me to get a new ANT compatible watch, currently my vivosmart is counting my steps/sleep/HR only, but kind of enough just to stay fit.
I can justify a maximum expense maybe to a level of Vivoactive 3 but over that price range is very competitive in hybrid watch market, scared of I may be drifted away from biking computers.
Once we get to a nicer weather I would really like to ride a bike with an activity tracker and a bike computer (cellphone)...
I have no experience with these garmin toys, what is your opinion?
Not sure can the cadense/speed sensor be paired with two devices? With a phone/computer and a watch? Or the watch will take over the ANT data, work it out, and send it to the phone/computer?
  • Ant+ can have one sensor send to many endpoints - like I have HRM, Speed sensor, power meter & temperature sensor all transmitting to 3 devices (I only ever have a maximum of two of those with me - depending on the bike I'm using)

My experience is that a dedicated device (be it a watch like a F?nix or Forerunner or a cycling specific device like an Edge) is better than a repurposed cellphone in 99 cases out of 100 - typically more rugged, easier to connect sensors, longer battery life, ...

At the end my opinion counts for nothing - you do what you want to do.
  • Thanks for the info.
    @ my 59 I am taking gravel biking as recreation over summer, averaging about maybe 100 kilometers a week. Biking only to stay fit, and I have other hobby's where I am spending more time.
    But I like toys as well wherever I go and whatever I do. Here I have in front of me the two garmin sensors, a retired cellphone I could dedicate to as a biking computer, and a HR watch. Trying to connect all together within a reasonable expense...tomorrow Sunday (and still winter with subzero here at my place), seem to me just a perfect day to play with that my bike in the basement if I could figure things,,,ordering the USB ANT+ plug from amazon to start with that idea first.
  • Are you going any further than HR, speed & cadence?

If not then consider Edge 200, Edge 500/510/520...

If you want an activity (step) counter that does cycling data capture the Forerunner does that starting with the 200 series (235 being the "current")

Having a (relatively) fragile cellphone with a protruding USB attachment is eventually not going to end well (what are you doing when it rains and you're out for example? If your phone is waterproof, does that still apply with a USB device attached?)
  • Yes you are right...but if I don't employ that old phone as a cycling computer I would need to figure some other use for it....not going just to throw it away because got bored and cash out a larger pile for a new phone....can still use in my basement.
    Forerunner 235 or Vivoactive 3? about the same ticket price...or maybe I can get a second hand Fenix 3 for that money...
    This would be mainly for cycling...@ 59 running gets out of focus because of danger for injuries...watersports (SUP and windsurfing) or archery really doesn't need these toys.