This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed + cadence sensor and Garmin Connect?

So I got these speed/cadence sensors as a Christmas gift (thank you Santa) and running them since on my trainer mounted gravel bike in the basement.
I had some old cellphones laying around in drawers (two teenage boys growing fast also their toys piling up) so one older sony experia is currently acting as a bike computer, with a third party app. The IpBike as a standalone app is pretty impressive entertainment during basement biking, so far.
On my current LG droid I have the installed Garmin connect app logging my activities with the Vivosmart HR, planning to dedicate that phone as a bike computer upgrade once my new Samsung phone gets to my mailbox.
Wondering how nice that would be integrating all Garmin into a single place, the HR watch, the speed/cadence sensors, the gps and whatever else the retiring LG G3 still capable of doing...
Can this Garmin Connect manage all of these?
  • bigHUN,

Garmin Connect is only the software to analyse and show the tracked data.

So the better question is, can the watch manage all that?

I'm pretty sure that you can not connect a cadence sensor to the Vivosamrt HR.

So once you got a watch which can connect to all these sensors it will show up in GC.

Here is an example how this could look like.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1756337765

Best regards
    Christian
  • Thanks Christian, this is exactly the answer I was looking for.
    Eyeing the activity trackers/smart hybrid watches for some time but I got the impression that the new models not coming in same time as the new smart phones earlier in year...nothing else available but the last year technology...
    I would welcome some feedback's why would a current owner of the Vivoactive HR next time chose another watch instead?
    What would be the good alternatives even if that would mean leaving the garmin platform
  • bigHUN,

it all comes down what you want or need.

A Vivosmart HR is just a fitness tracker and not really a option for sport.
    A Vivoactive HR is a multisport watch, which makes it possible to track a lot of different activities but not into the last detail.
    And than there is the top price range (Fenix, Forerunner 935, etc) where you can get the last detail out of every activity. (If you´re willing to pay).

About Runtastic gear I can tell you that it is poorly manufactured and quiet faulty. And on the website you have to pay for stuff which Garmin offers for free.

FitBit offers equal quality as Garmin does, but in my opinion the software is pointless. Is very hard to analyse trends or to see the actual impact on your training.

In general, doesn't matter which brand you will pick, I can give you the advise to check closely on the software and if it works for you. The nicest watch the the most accurate sensors is worthless if it does not give you the data as you need it.

Best regards
    Christian
  • :) thanks, not much multisports - reaching out to limits with my 58 years, only to keep fit with swimming, SUP and windsurfing, biking and archery, I am staying outdoors as much the weather permits.
    Still winter here at my place, biking on the trainer until the last snow melts, in mean time I will be shopping for a best price on Vivoactive HR or Vivoactive 3 maybe, unless something new garmin surfaces.
    Best Regards, Attila
  • Hi Christian, I hope you are still active here. I joughtan edge 830 with the speed and cadence sensors.  But I am not seeing the cadence show up in my garmin connect app, and I am wondering if I need to turn something on.  I haven't yet found the info, but would love to see this.  (i have both the speed and cadence sensors and both are connected when i ride)