This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin speed sensor (non-magnetic) died, any help?

Hi there,

I've seen there are many many topics but...
When I was in France last week I noticed a variable speed on my display. After checking I noticed my speed sensor isn't working anymore. It's symbol keeps blinking on my edge820 display and it won't connect anymore.
The sensor is attached on my frontwheel's hub. I don't see any green/red light flasing anymore.
I removed the battery, placed a new one but still it remains dead.
When I opened it there was some dust along the edges but the electronics inside all looked very clean. I never opened it before since removing it from the package.

Any help? Could the sensor just die?
What's this 'ship mode' i read about?

Is it possible the revive this thingy?

Thanks
  • I have learned one important thing when swapping batteries in garmin sensors:

After removing the old battery wait at least 30 seconds before installing the new battery. Otherwise the sensor might play dead.
    Some suggest to insert the new battery upside down for a moment instead of waiting 30 seconds, but I never tried it this way.
  • Well the 'old battery' is just 5 months old (I got the set and unit since then). It's no battery issue since the same battery is working in other stuff :)
  • No one any help?
    So i'm stuck to 'buy a new sensor' ?
  • If it is just 5 months old you should still have warranty on it.
  • Some suggest to insert the new battery upside down for a moment instead of waiting 30 seconds, but I never tried it this way.

I've heard, and done, exactly that ... it quite often solves the problem. The way I understand it, this causes the device to reset. Not sure how, but I'm not an electrical engineer.

• Because the current involved in the ongoing operation is so minuscule, the sensor can be regarded (to a first order approximation) as a capacitor.

By​​​By reversing (physically) the battery you in fact cause a short circuit between the battery compartment positive & negative terminals which discharges the residual charge in the sensor. You would obtain the same if you shorted the terminals with any conducting material - but since the battery is there, has the necessary property & physically fits...
  • I just experienced the same thing... Inserting the battery backwards didnt work for me. I called Garmin support and they suggested the same, or use any object to connect to the two copper pieces in the sensor (open batter cover and remove, there are two exposed copper pieces). I tried this and still no good. I plan on calling back on monday and hoping they have other suggestions and/or offer a replacement.
  • For info on the speed sensors:
    Both of my speed sensors have now died (one on my track bike, only used inside). Both around 18 months old. Contacted wiggle (where purchased) and Garmin who confirmed that the warranty is only for 12 months. Feedback from both is basically ‘tuff luck, but a new one’.
    Having spend well over £1000 on Garmin products, this response was pretty disappointing. I’m now going to try the Wahoo speed sensor.
    Not impressed with Garmin support.
  • If you are only 5 months old, you should get a warranty.

">?????????????">?????????????
  • I know I am way late to the game hear but if you still have your old Garmin speed sensor, it might still work.

I have various speed sensors, cadence sensors, and heart rate sensors from various manufacturers including Garmin. I noticed my Garmin speed sensor (not V2 model) stopped working so I installed a new battery. I am not sure how long it wasn't working because it is hard to tell especially when using GPS but when I was doing hill workouts, I noticed my speed was jumping around a little. I confirmed it wasn't working and after installing a new battery, it still didn't work. 

I noticed the positive aluminum terminal that is seated to the bottom of the battery housing wasn't aligned to the short positive copper FIXED post. I removed the paper / cardboard battery holder that has the 3 aluminum pinch extenders on 1-side and the larger single extender on the other that is suppose to touch the fixed positive post. In my analysis, I noticed it would not touch as it should. So, I took the cardboard marked with the "+" out and reinstalled it so it would touch the fixed post during the locking of the battery, after-which the LED lit up showing the unit was alive and working. 

It is my hypothesis that the either during riding (vibrations) or unlocking the batter compartment, this cardboard piece rotates just enough so that the positive lead from the battery and unit do not touch.