This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cadence Sensor: Does Position On Crank Cause Dropouts?

Hi Cyclists!

I have new magnetless Speed & Cadence sensors. I took them for some test rides today. They are paired to a Vivoactive HR.

I couldn't look down at the tracker too often for spot checks since it's drizzling and my glasses were just about useless. (And careless texting drivers were everywhere today!)
The speed sensor worked great & showed no "zero mph" sections. But... The reports on Garmin Connect showed lots of places where cadence was zero for up to 4 minutes at a time. I also noticed, when I could see the Vivoactive HR's screen, after a stop I'd need 60 or 70 revolutions before cadence would change from zero.

I am wondering if my mounting position for the Cadence sensor is the problem.

In my case, I have a kickstand & bracket in the way on the non-drive side, so I had to install the sensor on the drive side crank arm about 3 inches from the spindle (near the bottom bracket end). Therefore, it is rotating in a rather small circle. Also note that, it's tucked in a gap behind the chainring's outer chain guard. <Photo is attached to show what I'm not describing too well>

Do you think removing the kickstand so it can be on the non-drive side, thus farther from the bottom bracket and then traveling in a larger circle would help eliminate the drop-outs?
Taking the kickstand off is a bit of surgery, so I thought I'd ask first. (And, the kickstand is very useful to me so I'd like to keep it.)

Thanks For Your Input & Suggestions!
Paul
  • I haven't seen any posts concerning data drops with the cadence sensor or that the mounting position could be a problem. Is there another bike that you could try the sensor on? You could try reseating the battery or maybe a new battery. Call support if you can't resolve the problem.
  • Thanks TIGERMOUNTRIDER for the suggestions. I appreciate the ideas!

Unfortunately I don't have another bike that's rideable right now for testing (It's in intensive care).

I tried re-seating the battery and a new battery with no success. I think I'l give it a few more test rides and if it stays wonky, I'll follow your suggestion & call Garmin.
    Thanks Again & Enjoy Today!
    Paul