This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Zipp Cognition Hub Compatibility with Magnetless Speed Sensor

Just upgraded to Zipp 404 NSWs with a Cognition Hub and attached my magnetless speed sensor. Speed sensor (attached to my rear wheel and while on my indoor trainer) registered well below my actual speed - i.e., showing 1.8mph to 2.5mph no matter what gear I was in or how hard I pedaled. Changed the battery and had the same results - although occasionally I'd reattached the sensor to the hub and get a reading in the 6-8mph range. I could take the sensor off the wheel and "mock spin" it by hand and get readings in the 20-30mph range, but then reattach to the hub and again be less than 5mph! Started researching the issue and found a few obscure posts that claimed magnetic fields can interfere with the magnetless speed sensor.

Directly from the Zipp website: "The rear CognitionTm hub with AxialClutchTm technology reduces drag by disengaging the ratchet mechanism when coasting. It then uses magnets to re-engaged once the rider starts pedaling..." (emphasis mine).

Since I'm using the sensor on a bike trainer this winter and have to get the reading off the rear wheel, it'll be several months before I can get a front wheel reading off of it. Although, I put the sensor on the front, spun it by hand and was able to get readings between 10-12mph - which seemed fairly accurate. At this point, I think I found the problem... So, the purpose of this post is to see if anyone can confirm the magnetic field interference issue, and if so, to alert others using this wheelset of the issue.