This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GSC 10 not working on Edge 705

I have an Edge 705 and have been using a GSC 10 with it for several years. I had to replace the battery on the GSC 10 today and now the 705 won't display cadence data. The leds on the unit light up showing that the GSC is working and I get a note on the 705 that a speed/cadence sensor is detected, however, the 705 doesn't display speed or cadence. My heart rate monitor works so I am certain that the ANT+ function of the 705 is working.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Try repairing it. Some sensors can change their ID when the battery is replaced.
  • Sort of works

I did a reset of the GSC 10 and I now at least can get a cadence but still no speed. Cadence only is just fine for outside riding but when the weather tanks I'll put the bike on a trainer and without speed I won't be able to keep track of distance.
  • Free clue: on a trainer, distance is zero. (i.e. if you have to, make up a number. You've ridden a trainer before, you must know what to expect).

Sounds like the reed switch in the little arm that senses wheel rotations has failed. That's what eventually killed mine when I had GSC-10's. Time to get a new sensor. I don't think Garmin sells the GSC-10 any more (no longer shows up on Amazon), and I don't know if the 705 can pair with the new separate magnetless ones. Third party ANT+ speed/cadence sensors should work if there are any left. Or maybe, since a 705 is ancient (I have one, retired in favor of an 800), it's time for a double upgrade.
  • Third party ANT+ speed/cadence sensors should work if there are any left. Or maybe, since a 705 is ancient (I have one, retired in favor of an 800), it's time for a double upgrade.

OUCH! My wife already thinks my riding is expensive. If I upgrade the new 820 looks mighty attractive.
  • If I upgrade the new 820 looks mighty attractive.

While I'm relatively happy with my 820 (Elevation problems aside), it appears a few firmware upgrades may be required to make everyone happy around here.
  • Yeah, personally if my 800 breaks right now I'm going to replace it with a 1000. The 820 is just too new, and I've seen people complain about the screen size. Of course, people complain about the screen size of the 1000 in the opposite way.
  • The leds on the unit light up showing that the GSC is working
    After it is pressed the LED should flash green for speed and red for cadence. If the LED flashes the reed switch is working. If the LED is flashing green and there is no speed input, try putting the battery in backwards for about 10 seconds to reset the GSC 10.
  • As suggested, I put my battery in backwards for 10 seconds. That did the trick and now the speed sensor works.

THANK YOU!
  • You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.