This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin and Wahoo speed sensor

Not sure this is the appropriate forum but wondered if anyone else had encountered similar issues.

Take a look at this GC record:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1307887549

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1307839388

You will note the speed suddenly going erratic - this was after an emergency stop at tempo at traffic lights on a steep hill necessitating a manual, emergency drop of hear whilst stationary.

Now I've had some problems with erratic speed readings - not once but twice. The first time was immediately after pairing with my Garmin devices - I was getting erratic readings from 0 to 70mph when averaging about 20mph. I removed the sensor and re-paired with no issues until today.

Mid-ride, I started getting erratic readings again - this seems to coincide with having spun the back wheel in reverse. I had to stop at temporary traffic lights and was on a steep hill in the wrong gear. I dropped the gear while stationary and spin the wheel manually with it going backwards at one point. I now wonder whether this caused the erratic readings?

I am going to unpair and re-pair but wondered if anyone had encountered this before?
  • Is this the combined Wahoo speed / cadence sensor or the separate, magnetless, sensors?

If it's the magnetless sensors, you may have old firmware ... use the Wahoo app to update the firmware on the sensors.

I had a problem with my Wahoo sensors dropping out frequently ... updating the firmware corrected the problem.
  • Separate speed and cadence - no magnets.

I've never updated the firmware so that could well be the answer I'm looking for.

Many thanks!
  • Is this the combined Wahoo speed / cadence sensor or the separate, magnetless, sensors?

If it's the magnetless sensors, you may have old firmware ... use the Wahoo app to update the firmware on the sensors.

I had a problem with my Wahoo sensors dropping out frequently ... updating the firmware corrected the problem.

Just connected the sensors to the app - sure enough, it immediately informed me that a firmware update was available for the speed sensor - nothing for the cadence sensor though; so it may well be problem solved!

Many thanks.