This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Magnetless cadence sensor and moisture

We don't get much rain in Southern California. But when it rains I like to go out and ride. Twice within the last year I have gone in wet rides. Invariably, water gets inside the cadence sensor making it stop recording data. I open up the sensor and blow dry the moisture. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Garmin has already replaced one sensor under warranty.

I am just getting a bit tired of the whole routine.

Has anyone else had the same moisture problem?

Any potential solutions?

Thanks.
  • I live in Manchester, United Kingdom, whose nickname is 'Rainy City'. We are the butt of jokes. I haven't had any problems with water ingress.
  • I live in Manchester, United Kingdom, whose nickname is 'Rainy City'. We are the butt of jokes. I haven't had any problems with water ingress.

I also live in Manchester and have no issues with riding in the rain :-/ Maybe its a combination of water plus heat? We don't have heat...
  • I have the same problem and I am based in Berkshire, UK

We don't get much rain in Southern California. But when it rains I like to go out and ride. Twice within the last year I have gone in wet rides. Invariably, water gets inside the cadence sensor making it stop recording data. I open up the sensor and blow dry the moisture. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Garmin has already replaced one sensor under warranty.

I am just getting a bit tired of the whole routine.

Has anyone else had the same moisture problem?

Any potential solutions?

Thanks.

I have the same problem and I am based in Berkshire, UK. Every time I go out in the wet, I get a low battery message after a while followed by cadence sensor failure. I am going to try vaseline
  • Moisture getting in the Garmin sensors hasn't been a problem that has shown up on the forum. You might want to give support a call to see about getting a replacement.
  • I have found that in use on two different bikes road vibration causes the battery cover on the magnetless cadence sensor to unlock. This allows water ingress and also gives intermittent sensing.

It is not such a clever design to put the battery cover touching the crank for this reason, but it is not reversible because of the shape of the lugs for the o-rings. I used electrical tape to prevent recurrence.

The double-o ring also split on tour. I replaced it with two single o-rings and some electrical tape to secure the whole thing to the crank. It looks ugly but it worked for the rest of the tour.
  • I have found that in use on two different bikes road vibration causes the battery cover on the magnetless cadence sensor to unlock. This allows water ingress and also gives intermittent sensing.

It is not such a clever design to put the battery cover touching the crank for this reason, but it is not reversible because of the shape of the lugs for the o-rings. I used electrical tape to prevent recurrence.

The double-o ring also split on tour. I replaced it with two single o-rings and some electrical tape to secure the whole thing to the crank. It looks ugly but it worked for the rest of the tour.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that the design could use some improvements.