This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Question about the Garmin Bike Speed Sensor and Fenix3

I'm interested in getting this for my bike I have on a trainer.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by-accessories/fitness-sensors/bike-speed-sensor/prod517136.html

A couple of questions.

I am looking to pair it with my Fenix 3. Will the Fenix 3 recognize it? The website lists the Fenix2, but not the 3. I would assume it could, but want to make sure.

Can this unit tell me distance? If it can calculate speed, shouldn't it be able to calculate distance if I give it my wheel size?

Thanks in advance.
  • Yes, it works with Fenix 3. Yes, you can have it lie about your speed/distance (speed/distance on a trainer is zero) by inputting whatever wheel size you'd like. If you're outside and using GPS, the Fenix 3 can automatically calibrate the wheel size using the sensor rotations and GPS distance, but indoors you'll have to do it manually.
  • My plan was to put it on my rear wheel and use it with my trainer during the winter and use the same bike for outdoor riding during the summer. That way, I don't have to move it from bike to bike. Buy one sensor and I'm done.

Thanks!
  • Depending on where you mount your Fenix, you might have trouble with it on the rear wheel. The line of sight between transmitter and receiver has to be as clear as possible of things like you and the frame and water bottles. That's easier to do when you put the sensor on the front, but of course you don't have that option on a lot of trainers. Since it's a Fenix, you can always just lay it somewhere in line of sight of the rear wheel, but then, of course, you probably can't see it. The only way to tell whether it's going to work is to try, though.
  • Depending on where you mount your Fenix, you might have trouble with it on the rear wheel. The line of sight between transmitter and receiver has to be as clear as possible of things like you and the frame and water bottles. That's easier to do when you put the sensor on the front, but of course you don't have that option on a lot of trainers. Since it's a Fenix, you can always just lay it somewhere in line of sight of the rear wheel, but then, of course, you probably can't see it. The only way to tell whether it's going to work is to try, though.

Woah, this thing needs LOS??? According to the manual, it will pair when it is within 3M of a compatible device. It doesn't mention needing LOS.
    http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Speed_Cadence_Instr_ML.pdf

Guess I'll just have to try it out.
  • the fenix 3 is mounted on a handle bar stem mount. i use it outdoors.

Tried this out last night.
    No problems. Doesn't need line of sight.