This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cadence Sensor on Spinning Bike?

I'm away from home (and my bikes) for a few month (long story that I won't bore you with), so the only 'cycling' I can do is on some basic Technogym Spinning Bikes. This is something new for me; but, I'm hoping to retain some fitness for when I return home in the Summer.

In addition to the organised Spinning Classes, I have been training to some of the Global Cycling Network's indoor cycling training videos. Many of these require peddling at various cadences throughout the sessions. However, the basic bikes don't have any cadence information so I am estimating cadence and then checking by counting pedal revelations for 10-15 second periods (with my mental math capacity decreasing as my heart rate increases).

During today's session, I was wondering wether I could fit a Garmin cadence sensor (as I do on my Roadie back home) and then use my Garmin 810 to record cadence and HR (from my Vivosmart HR). The spinning bike's cranks are quite chunky and there isn't much of a gap between them and the body of the 'bike'.

Has anyone out there tried using a Cadence Sensor on such a spinning bike?

Grateful for any advice.
  • You might be able to put the magnetless cadence sensor in your shoe.

I know the new Wahoo magnetless cadence sensor allows for that.

I'm not sure if the Garmin sensor depends on the unit being flipped over or if it just detects the circular motion.