This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

My magnetless cadence sensor disconnects during ride--Garmin 800

This is REALLY annoying...during rides of more than 3 hours the magnetless cadence sensor disconnects and stops working altogether. Occasionally, I get an audible signal and a message that reads, "Cadence sensor detected." The screen on my Garmin 800, however, shows the dreaded _ _ _ in place of the cadence reading.

I have tried every possible work-around, replacing the battery, cleaning out the electric contacts, moving the position of the sensor on the crank arm, clearing the memory on the Garmin 800 and even lighting votive candles to Mr. Campagnolo and Mr. Shimano. Nothing works.

I really like to use the cadence feature, it is like using a tachometer in a manual transmission car, it tells me how I am performing.

Any solutions out there?

Tank you
  • One possibility is that the negative contact is not pressing tight enough against the battery. You could try putting something behind to battery to make it tighter. I prefer doing that rather than bending the contact. If the cadence sensor is like the speed sensor, the positive side of the battery goes into the cap and the positive contacts are on the edge of the battery. You try putting something behind the positive side so there is more pressure against the negative contact. Most batteries come with protection sticker on the negative side. They work well as shims if you have any. If that doesn't fix it, I would contact support about a replacement sensor.
  • One possibility is that the negative contact is not pressing tight enough against the battery. You could try putting something behind to battery to make it tighter. I prefer doing that rather than bending the contact. If the cadence sensor is like the speed sensor, the positive side of the battery goes into the cap and the positive contacts are on the edge of the battery. You try putting something behind the positive side so there is more pressure against the negative contact. Most batteries come with protection sticker on the negative side. They work well as shims if you have any. If that doesn't fix it, I would contact support about a replacement sensor.

Tiger, thank you for your suggestion. I tried it and so far it is working. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Grazie!