This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed Sensor on Schmidt Son28 Front Hub Issues - Solutions?

I mounted the speed sensor on the front wheel - and was impressed that I was riding in the 35 mph - 67 mph range. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it wasn't true. Since I have a Rohloff 500/14 on the rear, I do not believe I can get the elastic band on the speed sensor around that Hub. Is it possible to use one of the extra bands supplied with the cadence sensor to extend the elastic band on the speed sensor? Or, maybe replace the band completely?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • I believe this can be done. I had searched this forum without success. But, I also did a google search and found links to this forum that talked about getting "O-Rings" to extend/replace the provided rubber band. That seems to work.
  • My commuter bicycle has a Schmidt Son 28 generator front hub, and I attached the Speed Sensor 2 using a couple of large o-rings. I paired the sensor with my Edge 1000 easily, but the speed was displaying too high during a test drive around the block. I edited the sensor profile on the Edge 1000 manually setting the wheel size, 700 x 35c = 2168. Again, the speed reading remained too high. My fitness road bicycle with a Chris King front hub using the speed sensor's OEM rubber strap has no issue. My best guess is that the speed sensor has an acceleration (motion) sensor that is sensitive to the radius of rotation. Support engineer? Thanks!

• The issue is that the speed sensor uses a magnetometer to detect rotation through the earth's magnetic field and as such should not be placed near any electrical or artificial magnetic fields.

• Indeed. Thanks for the follow-up!

• @tt_metro said-

>Since I have a Rohloff 500/14 on the rear, I do not believe I can get the elastic band on the speed
    >sensor around that Hub.

After learning that the Speed Sensor cannot be mounted on the Schmidt Son 28 Dyno Hub, I got a long wire tie, and I mounted the Speed Sensor to my rear wheel with the Rohloff Speed Hub 500/14. It appears to function yielding the correct speed. I have a regular course near home where I can test the average speed against previous days. Fingers crossed!

Speed Sensor on Rohloff 500/14

• >I have a regular course near home where I can test the average speed against previous days.

The speed sensor mounted on the Rohloff Speedhub worked great. I rode past a traffic cam radar trailer, and the indicated speed(s) synced.