This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Did I get bad speed/cadence sensors?

In theory, these should work so simply... I'm afraid maybe the ones I bought are QC issues. I've searched all previous posts and couldn't find a solution to my problem.

My problem is I can't pair them to my Forerunner 230, and I think the problem is that they don't activate.

Here's what I've tried so far.

1. Remove battery from each sensor for a minute... then replace (eliminate shipping mode, or so I read). I get the green/red then all green blinking, then it stops blinking.
2. Cleaned the grease of the battery and gold connector in sensor(s).
3. I'm sometimes able to get the cadence sensor to activate (flashing green LED's) by turing the crank 10-15times, I never get flashing Green LED's on the speed sensor (attached to rear hub, pedaling on my trainer)
4. Replaced the batteries.
5. Tried to activate sensor with all other sensors/watch off or more than 50' away.

I'm at a loss. Why is this so hard? The manual says to turn the crank/wheel to activate... and they simply won't. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? Even when I get the green flashing led on the cadence sensor, it won't pair to my forerunner 230 (a whole separate issue). Did I get a bad batch? I know others have had this problem...just looking for a solution. I'm starting to loathe Garmin.

Thanks for any help/tips you may have
  • It could be the Forerunner is looking for the wrong type sensor. I'm not familiar with the Forerunner but see if there is somewhere in the menu to select sensor type. For a combined sensor like the GSC 10 the type should be "spd/cad". Type "Speed and cadence" is for separate speed and cadence sensors.
  • Well, the forerunner 230 has it's own problems with pairing to sensors... no way to manually force a search fro available sensors (huge design flaw in my opinion). But I think what is happening here is not the fault of the forerunner. The manual clearly says the cadence sensor will activate with a few turns of the crank and the speed sensor will activate with a few turns of the wheel hub. You will know it is activated when you see the flashing green LED's. I've tried all the steps listed above and I never see the green led's flashing which means to me it isn't activated and ready to be paired. I'm sending them back. I've tried everything. I guess I'll try another set...not optimistic.