This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New magnet-less speed sensor doesn't work on indoor trainer

Hi all

I'm experiencing problems with my speed sensor (the new magnet-less one, not the GSC-10) when training indoors.
I rode outdoor (for 2 hours) in the morning, turned the GPS off and the speed from the sensor was correct. That means it is working perfectly. But whenever I ride on the indoor trainer, the speed gets crazy in the first seconds and then drops to zero.
I suspect it has to do with some kind of interference generated by the trainer that is affecting the connection between my 910xt and the sensor.
Anyone has seen this before?
BTW, the cadence sensor is OK.
Any help would be very appreciated.

All the best!

Bruno
  • The speed sensor has problems on magnetic trainers because it detects the earth's magnetic filed. The cadence sensor detects gravity.
  • Many thanks!

Is there any way to prevent the sensor to be magnetized by the trainer?
  • I don't have any first hand experience but I think there is nothing that can be done. The trainer creates a magnetic field that clashes with the sensor detecting the earth's magnetic filed.
  • The speed sensor has problems on magnetic trainers because it detects the earth's magnetic filed. The cadence sensor detects gravity.

I have a fluid trainer and i get exactly the same issue. I pretty sure there is another reason for this.
  • If the sensor works outdoors but not indoors it must be either a magnet field problem or interference with the ANT+ signal. WiFi can cause interference with the ANT+ signal. You could take the sensor off the wheel and see if it works by flipping it over. Then see if spinning the trainer makes the difference.
  • I managed to fix it!

I don't know exactly what I did but I simply rode in a differente place. I used to train in a fitness studio and trained today in my bedroom. It worked perfectly! Perhaps the fitness equipment in the studio were creating the interference.

Anyway, many thanks for your help! For those who have the same issue, try to train in a differente place to avoid interference. It may sound a bit odd but worked with me!

Best!
  • I managed to fix it!

I don't know exactly what I did but I simply rode in a differente place. I used to train in a fitness studio and trained today in my bedroom. It worked perfectly! Perhaps the fitness equipment in the studio were creating the interference.

Anyway, many thanks for your help! For those who have the same issue, try to train in a differente place to avoid interference. It may sound a bit odd but worked with me!

Best!

Same issue, but I can't change my trainer location. This is a room I converted for training :-(
  • Bruno, I have the same issue. It is very annoying. Regardless of the fact trainer road platform not using it as a reference for TSS or other power-related efforts you won't have the distance calculated indoor. Besides, it seems that Zwift will not work with such a problem of not recording speed. In this case, you should use another way.