This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

$860 to Replace Marq Battery?!

I've had my MARQ Expedition for almost two and a half years. In that time, it's never left my side other than a quick charge or when I am in shower. It's gotten more use and joy than any phone or device i've owned. However, I have noticed that the battery life has gone down a bit and rather than charging every 3-4 days of use, I am charging it every 2-3 days. I expect this watch to last 5+ years, but I know batteries don't usually make it that long.

So I reached out to customer support about what it would take to get the battery replaced. Here was their response:

• 7-10 days for service
  • $860 fee, not including tax

Keep in mind, most luxury watches don't have batteries. (The ones that do you're supposed to service every year. Garmin has never made that claim with their devices.) For luxury watches with a battery change you're usually looking at about a $60-$120 fee dependent on the watch and its complexity. For lower end watches maybe $30-$50.

So why is this so expensive at Garmin? According to Garmin Customer Support:

Customer Support: "When you bring the device in, the engineers will not only address the battery, but any part on the device that is needing replacement. And if they find repairs that cannot be completed, they will replace the watch entirely with brand new. So for this analysis, it is a flat rate of repair."

Me: "So i'd be paying for $760 worth of services i don't need?"

Customer Support: "This is the amount that our engineers have settled on for the cost of a repair, yes."

And despite what DC Rainmaker and other blogger's claimed in their reviews of the MARQ line back in 2019, there is no such thing as a 'Garmin Battery Replacement Program.' Never existed, never will.

• To be honest that is what I did expect. When the MARQ was brand new Garmin said 'special' dealers would be able to change the battery in the future. As already written in some other thread ... this never came to be true ... a big lie but as long as we still buy every new model they will succeed .

• I am sorry to hear this. My understanding was also, that there was a battery replacement service for the Marq line. And if I now understand this correctly, there will be a flat fee (cost) of 860 USD regardless of what needs to be done on the watch?

Also, my expectation is that the battery will last much longer than a few years. I just checked battery status on my iPhone, that has 85% capacity after almost three years of daily recharging from ca 20 to 100%. That is now more than 1000 times on the charger. I also expect the Li-Ion battery of the Marq (or any Garmin) to have some 85% after 1000 cycles (20 to 100%). Having owned my Marq Expedition for just a bit more than two years, and with a weekly re-charge I have only been through some 100 cycles (from ca 20/30 to 80/100 i.e not full cycles).

• You are surely right we will (hopefully) don't really need a change of the battery quite now ...

But I feel a little bit 'tricked' because that is definitely not the promised battery change service. So for next model don't believe it ... or moan about a bad battery as long as you are in guarantee. 

• I feel slightly tricked as well. I thought the battery replacement program was a huge selling point but I didn't read the fine print when purchased as I was so excited for the watch and thought I had done my research. Even if it was $100-$150 it wouldn't be so frustrating. $860 though... that's half the price of the original device.

My watch is not in immediate need of a battery replacement, but this cost will be a factor for reconsidering a future MARQ line. Very disappointed.

• the same for my Garmin Fenix Chronos. the problem is it does not make any sense to pay that amount for the battery replacement just because for double the cost one can get a brand new modern device (with warranty and a new battery - which could have more capacity in it). So I could get a replacement for my Chronos but the watch is outdated and even that would be a 'refubrished' one (who knows what it means). and how good this battery would be. And the reason I am posting it here I also heard that for Marq series the battery could be replaced and this is why I was googling the details and found this topic. Very sad. I will reconsider all together purchasing any Garmin watch just because it will go to waste in few years.

• Yeah. All the original marketing and reviews spoke about the battery replacement, really signifying the key difference between this Garmin line and other lines as a luxury item with long lasting potential. Especially with larger storage and higher quality materials that could allow for future updates.

It’s an amazing watch, truly, but this cost is a difficult one to justify when other luxury brands with mechanical complications are orders of magnitude less to maintain.

• I guess we wait till someone figures how to replace the battery and what is the battery. should be the same one as in fenix 6.. 

• rather than charging every 3-4 days of use, I am charging it every 2-3 days.

What is the reason that you always charge the watch so often ? Do you charge it fully and empty it completely ? in so few days ?

What makes you sure that it is the battery that is defective? There are hundreds of reasons why battery consumption can increase. Many CIQ things increase the battery consumption enormously. Each firmware has its own battery consumption. Firmware X does not have to consume as much battery as firmware Y. And so on.

• I charge it every 2-3 days because I use it, extensively. As mentioned in the original post, I've noticed it going from every 3-4 days to every 2-3. I never said the battery was defective, but batteries do have a degrading life span.

I know that certain faces and widgets cause more battery drain. That's not the concern. The concern is that if I continue to use the MARQ as often and the battery needs to be replaced in the future, it's an abhorrent cost. Especially if the watch is functioning well, I'm paying for an unnecessary (and expensive) diagnosis when all I require is a battery swap.

• Ah, ok. So it's a question for the future ? I thought you were complaining that the battery was already dropping. then I must have misunderstood.