This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

5.1 and sensor hub 2.5 issues

Just updated to 5.1 yesterday and sensor hub2.5. I am looking forward to explore the added training programs, and other things. Color of maps - as I wrote about in another thread - was fixed for me with the update. But I now have the always-on OHRM that have been discussed both in the forerunner 245 and 945 forums. The OHRM stays on eventhough I connect to an external HRM. I have tried to flip switches for pulse OX, HRV, on and off, with re-starts in between, but the OHRM stays on regardless.

Not a big issue, but still a bit annoying.  With my earlier F5, there where persistant re-settings of various things with upgrades, HR zones for example, or tones/vibrations, so I assume it is about some re-setting... but I fail to find it. Anyone else recognise this, and have a solution?

• But I now have the always-on OHRM that have been discussed both in the forerunner 245 and 945 forums

If you follow down the threads on this on the 945 and Fenix 6 forums, you’ll find that it’s not a WHR setting thing, but seems to have been brought about because WHR is the way that Garmin Pay detects that the watch has not been removed from your wrist (so you don’t have to keep re-entering the PIN). So it seems this is intended behaviour now, not a bug.

Something many seem not to be aware of, is that when you start an activity you can easily tell whether your HR strap is connected as you should see a solid heart symbol on the screen (before you press start); if that symbol is flashing, then the strap is not connected.

Now, I’ve said there is no WHR setting specifically to stop the WHR during an activity, but you can configure a custom Power Mode that has WHR off but leaves Accessories on (that should mean the watch still connects to a HR strap). You then apply that custom Power Mode to the activity apps you don’t want WHR on within. Power Modes are quite a new feature, so that’s the most likely place a bug will occur and would be worth reporting back to Garmin for a fix should you see one.

• Garmin express (computer) updated to 5.1 and 2.5 then mobile app downgraded to 2.20 - thoughts?

• GCM won't/can't downgrade the software on your watch; the only way to downgrade a software component is to get a special version of the install file from the Garmin software folks (such as the forced software downgrade file included when beta software is posted by Garmin on these forums).  When you go to Menu>System>About what software version do you see?

• Software 5.10 sensor hub 2.20

• Probably worth plugging in to Express again and syncing until the sensor hub update file is re-delivered to the Garmin/RemoteSW folder on the watch (check the date/time of the file to ensure it's been delivered recently be Express).  After you unplug the MARQ, you may have to manually install the update by going to Menu>System>Software Update on the watch and select the available update to install.

• Thanks Crispin,

I have associated a card to my MARQ, but the thing is that the WHR stays on although I have not activated the card by entering the pin-code. Before the update to 5.1/2.5, the behaviour was as expected with the WHR going off as a strap was detected (and the card not activated). And given the experiences from previous Garmin devices, I was thinking it was a settings thing or restart thing. 

The heart symbol is a good thing, identifying a connected strap. I use that. And the power consumption from the WHR when it is in low power mode, is something like 0.03% per hour, so it is not really about saving power but rather looking for the expected behaviour from the device.

Power modes are good, as you suggests. I did one of my own immediately as they came in the previous version, with BT off, WHR off, display timeout, external accessories and GPS only. This gives up to 36 hours, rather then the specified 28h. And it seems to hold true as I use it. 

Will try out things/alternatives as I think of them during the coming sessions.

• I have the same issue but for me it's critical as it keeps the RD Pod connected all the time. The consequence is that the Marq doesn't show the running dynamics numbers anymore. To get them again I need to

1. Remove the RD Pod device in the Marq setting

2. Reboot the Marq

3. Show the Run workout welcome page

4. Add the RD Pod again

But if I finish my session, go back to the watch, and go again to the Run welcome page then no more running dynamics figures.

I need to do the 4 steps again. :-(

• Worked once connected to express, but I swear it downgraded. It’s like mobile and desktop both tried to update and one was perhaps pending it forced the downgrade

• I updated to firmware 5.10 and hub 2.50. Since then I had extreme HR peaks for instance, while I was sitting at my desk I noticed a couple of times that the watch displayed 120-150bpms but according to a simple manual check it was around 70-80bpm. One time in the afternoon, it went totally crazy and measured 215bpm and it didn't want to go lower for a while so I just removed it from my wrist.

After that I downgraded the Hub to 2.20 and since then it has been working fine as before. No respiration measurement though obviously.

I have sent a bug report to the outdoor.beta email but since I am new to Garmin not sure what is the proper report procedure here. I saw mentioning support tickets in the forum threads however, I could not find how to open one.

Thank you,
    Zoltan

• I am seeing terrible HR readings on indoor sports. Swimming has been very accurate just using the watch. Did some weights, bike, light CrossFit and it took the watch like 20 minutes to catch up. So my first pause/break saw HR in the 150 range vs., workouts saw 67 HR.... and yes I know that some sports are not as accurate etc., but indoor cycling.... don’t have this issue (remotely if I use my polar V or Apple) as they adjust much quicker if they can’t record accurately for a minute or two