Upgrade to paid maps?

I know this is mor of  a general question about Garmin maps, but I haven't found a specific subforum for this.

For my Aviator Gen 2 I have investigated the paid maps. But for me it is completely unclear which purchasable map is an upgrade to the existing maps.

Is there an overview or comparison somewhere? For example, is the "Winter Activity Map" better or more up-to-date than the Ski Map? Can the purchase maps also be upgraded?

Have any of you already used purchase maps?

• Your watch comes with worldwide TopoActive maps, Ski Resort maps, and Golf courses. The TopoActive map is available in most countries but not all of them.

Will you see enough of a difference to justify buying another map? Maybe at best - due to the size of your OLED display. If you are using a Garmin handheld Outdoor GPS device, a higher detailed map will be more easily noticed due to the sheer size of the display.

All of the maps that you can buy directly from our Garmin official sites, are one-time download static images for the current version of that map when purchased. (The map image can be redownloaded for 1 year. IE: If you delete the map off your watch vs. back it up instead, you can download the purchased map again for 1 year. Each map is tied directly to your watch and is locked to your watch. It cannot be used on another Garmin watch or handheld GPS.)

The maps that came with your watch are provided over the lifetime of your watch and each new version released can be updated/downloaded to your watch.

• Thanks a lot, this makes the decision easy to stay with the watch provided maps.

• Rather start a new thread, i’ll continue this thread as i am also considerng adding marine coastal charts to my recently ordered marq2 captain.  Unless I am mistaken, the choice i have is limited to the most premium 3gblueview (sic) at over $1000 for NJ to Maine.  The charts are $349 for a small section.  I did not count but i think i’d need ten of these $349 chart regionsto match what i own for other devices.  

Futher, navionics is a garmin company.  So, i should be permissioned to use garmin/navionics charts (that i own currently) on a marq or get preferred pricing.  

By comparison i have garmin/navionics platmum+ charts on my boats raymarine axio pro units and also on my ipad and watch.  All of those charts for all of CONUS coastal waters cost me less than the the cost for a Marq compatible garmin chart of just Long Island Sound.  On my ipad which is often on deck and is indispensible, charts were $30/per annum for all US coastal waters  IIRC.

For me, and i suspect many other actual skippers, charts on the watch would be nice to glance at quickly if far frim the MFD chart plotter or iphone/ipad. It could never be as useful so the chart pricing has to be low enough to make sense.  

There should be a cheaper option.  Zero chance i’ll spend more than the watch for charts only useful on a tiny screen.  

Unless i am wrong ( hope so) many of the premium blue3g features would not be useful on a watch.  

a tangential question, can a garmin nmea wifi router work with a raymarine seatalk nmea network?  I assyme this would allow nmea data (e.g. sog,heading,aws,awd etc) to be displayed onscreen?

• You make a good point. I do not disagree. What it comes down to maps, it is their copyright laws and rules set that come with expensive custom maps. Back in the 'day', everyone handed around the same DVD. Now that everything has become encrypted and digitized, whether we own the company or not, they are still a subsidiary with their own rules and the maps will be copyright protected.

I highly recommend you reach out to Marine Product Support vs. Outdoor Wearables Product Support. The Marine team directly supports both marine products and the MARQ (Gen 2) Captain watch for all marine features if you buy one or already own one.

Marine might need to research your scenario if unique but an answer will be provided. I am sorry I cannot personally answer your questions but Marine will take care of you.

- Marine Product Support