Instinct - New Price

I just went to garmin.com to check out whether there are some news. As expected MK1 Descent is on 20% off sale for just ~$800 instead of ~$1000, in expectation of MK2. But suprisingly at Instinct, the price rose 50% from $199 to $299 (at the standard version)! I am afraid it does not signal any optimistic news for the awaited Instinct 2. I fear it means Instinct 2 will be quie a bit more expensive than many of us hoped for.

• I just hope they will keep form factor and weight roughly the same Slight smile

• I've seen the prices for the base Instinct from 200 - 300 USD over the past few months.  I bought mine from REI back in mid December 2019 for $200.  Right now the base Instinct is selling for $250 at REI.

• I've seen the prices for the base Instinct from 200 - 300 USD over the past few months. 

I speak about the prices directly at Garmin. Last week Instict was for $199, while today it is $299, which is a major price increase. Street prices will differ, of course, but increasing the catalogue price directly at the manufacurer, just when a new model is expected to hit the market, is rather astonishing. Usually it is the exact contrary (as we can also see at the mentioned MK1). It can only mean that Instinct was "upgraded" to a higher priced category than it used to be until now.

• If memory serves (certainly questionable), the MSRP of the Instinct used to be $249 and the Instinct Tactical was $299.

Then Garmin reduced the price on the Instinct to $199.

Now, they have ended the reduced price on the Instinct and brought it back to the same price as the Instinct Tactical - $299.

At least now both versions are the same price.

• the MSRP of the Instinct used to be $249 and the Instinct Tactical was $299.

Then Garmin reduced the price on the Instinct to $199.

Yes, that is exact. The MSRP of the standard Instinct was $249, while for the past year until the last week it was on sale for $199. I know it pretty well, because I bought mine a year ago, and another one for a friend 2 weeks ago. That's why I was surprised seeing it for the same price of $299 as the Tactical version, just now, when the v2 is expected to hit the market.

• That's why I was surprised seeing it for the same price of $299 as the Tactical version, just now, when the v2 is expected to hit the market

It was speculated and never officially announced the v2 would be released towards years end of 2020.  With Covid-19 delaying everything, I'd be quite surprised if to see it released before the 1st quarter of 2021. That's most likely the reason the price went back up. Supply and demand.