Using tracking to return to base

Love my Instinct 2 Solar....  I mainly use it for hikes.  I have it track and save my route. I get to my destination and save it.  The issue is when I want to follow the same route back to the start.  

First issue with that if I select to track back I only seem to have straight line option.  I think I then tried route to follow my track back.  At that point I was about 1/4 into the reverse route back and my time was increasing!  I am guessing it wanted me to get to the end of the route (top of hill) before guiding me down on the same route????

In looking at the manual is say to "pause" it, then select to navigate back on the route.  But if true, what happens if I want to stay a few days and use it for other hikes?  Certainly I can't keep a single route paused.  I don't think I'm following the instructions correctly.

I am obviously doing something wrong.  So the question is. After I get to my destination, what is the procedure to :

1. Stop the route and save it (I can do this already) so I can can follow the same route back down in say 1-2 days after doing other hikes
  2. Navigate to follow a previously followed route

Any information is greatly appreciated.

• I'll start off by saying the Instinct (1 or 2) has a lot of built-in capability to Navigate and track your activities.  There are just a few techniques to get the most out of your watch.  Just as a side note, If you're looking for a decent set of how-to videos for your Instinct, I recommend JUMBLE.  He puts together a bunch of short videos on how to use the features of the Instinct series: https://www.youtube.com/c/JUMBLE2015/playlists

Stop the route and save it (I can do this already) so I can can follow the same route back down in say 1-2 days after doing other hikes
    1. Open your Hike profile
    2. Go into the options menu (up button)
    3. Scroll to Navigation and select
    4. Scroll to Activities and select
    5. Scroll to the Activity that you want to route back to the start
    6. A summary page will show up with the Activity's Summary page (Distance/Time/Speed)
    7. Select (GPS button)
    8. Scroll to Back to Start and select
    9. Scroll to TracBack and select
    10. Now the course is loaded that you'll navigate
    11. Press the GPS button to start recording
    12. Now your pointer arrow should direct you in the reverse direction from wench you came
    Navigate to follow a previously followed route

You follow the same steps above but instead of scrolling to TracBack in step 9, you just scroll to Go and select.

In the future, you'll want to post to the Instinct 2 forum to get answers to questions that may be more specific to the I2.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/instinct-2-series

• Well not sure what happened but it seems to be working great now.  I must have did something with a way point as  Ididn't have a track back route option..... working great now.  Thanks for your assistance.