Instinct Solar - 18.01 Public Release Candidate

Hello Instinct Solar customers,

Please read the instructions below to update the software for your Instinct Solar device. We've made some changes to how we deliver beta updates for our customers, so this forum post is now the primary resource for reading the change log notes – they are not available on another webpage. We look forward to your feedback!

18.01 Change Log Notes (changes since 18.00):

• Improved altimeter performance.

New Software versions listed are in red.

• System Software18.01
  • GPS: 5.40
  • BLE/ANT: 3.02
  • SNS: 18.00

Instructions for updating software:

• Download the .zip folder containing the update HERE
  • Connect the watch to your computer.
  • Unzip and copy the included gupdate.gcd file to the Garmin folder on your watch.
  • If there is a SensorHub_XXXX folder, copy the GUP3467.GCD to the Garmin\RemoteSW folder of your watch.
  • Disconnect the watch from the computer and it will prompt you to update software.

For any issues that you encounter, please send an email to [email protected]. In your email please include the software version, and a detailed description of your issue, along with any steps to reproduce. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.

• Sorry, but does Garmin test products in the field? I want to bring you my experience with my device bought in December 2021. During winter the altimeter worked enough fine, but my Garmin Instinct after the 16.50 firmware update, as all users of this device know, no longer allows you to choose whether to correct the altitude via GPS automatically. It was a strong point of all Garmin devices that limited the error due to changes in weather, seasons, temperature. But even more serious is the fact that if I use the Garmin on my wrist, and we are talking about a watch, sweating causes the barometer readings errors, which effect continuous changes in altitude. If I use on the handlebar it works fine comparing with my Garmin Edge 530 too. Please, fix these problems!!!

• I downloaded the gupdate file to my computer, in the garmin folder. I don't see anything in the watch, itself, that says garmin folder. The watch still doesn't work right, as it records way more ascent than I actually did. Neither the computer or watch prompted me to update. Please advise.

• just updated SW....let's wait now sat for test with trekking....knock on wood

• Can we implant the sailing racing stop watch from the Instinct Tide (non-solar version) to the Instinct Surf (instinct solar version)? Appreciate for Garmin engineering department can consider to add this function back to the solar watch. Thanks.

• i've tested doing trekking in the we. the upgrade did not solve the issue. watch is now working probably worse than with 17.50; elevation is still wrong only less wrong but gos reading is even more unstable; before i had only "peak" lower , now I 've also peak higher than real quota. On top, i had trakking with a friend, with another garmin...at the end of the day...there were almost 4km differences ...8.4km min vs 12.4 my friend one. In the past we had differences around 10.100m ...but never 4km!!! please fix this issue or i will have to take to watch back ,,,still in warranty...with this performances, it is really not usable

• Downloaded and followed instructions, but got message "not enough space".  Unable to load gupdate.gcd to garmin folder.